We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ground transport from nyc to philly airport

pittsburgh, pa
3 posts
Save Topic
ground transport from nyc to philly airport

How can you get from NYC to Philly airport and how long does it take?

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

Thanks for everyone's input!

My uncle walks fairly well -- just not for long distances. He feels he can manage stairs on his own, but if he falls, it's too late. So I'm next to him- holding on to his belt if I can't have an arm.

With the city bus, he gets on first & I get off first - so if he loses his balance, I can break his fall.

I was trying to find a reasonably priced hotel within walking/wheelchair distance of the Liberty Bell, etc. This way my uncle could have retired to the hotel when he'd "had enough". I've spent quite a few frustrating days - at first because I didn't know where & how to look and because I wasn't familiar with the city and where I wanted to be in it.

Then today, every time I clicked on 'book it' the available room suddenly wasn't available. I tried some of the B&B's recommended on this site. I talked to 'live' people, too. Even gave my credit card number to hold reservations for me & DC family members, only to get a phone call just after I told my relatives they could cancel their reservation at a motel near the airport. Luckily, they hadn't canceled.

I talked with my uncle and he thinks, with the wheelchair to retreat to when tired, and with the promise of a good dinner in town to recoup his energy, he's ok with a motel out by the airport. (He can sleep safely in a chair with no arms --this amazes me. As soon as I start nodding, I'm falling. He seems to have more energy as well when doing things that are new that he finds interesting. He did well with his 65th college reunion this past June (just 7 days out of the hospital) that included a bus trip to Kykuit.

I just want to make sure this little jaunt doesn't put him into the hospital. The way things are going though maybe I should be worrying about me. LOL

So, I've given up on a place near the historic district and made reservations for us at the original motel, out near the airport.

They say it's about 10 miles. How long, on average, does it take to drive from there to the Liberty Bell, etc?

It's back up in the air how we will get from NYC to Philie.

Our relatives will be driving from DC. (Any suggestions of where to park when we go siteseeing?)

We can't get into the motel until 3 pm. So, since neither group knows exactly when the other will arrive - meeting up before 3 pm presents some more questions.

It seems like a good idea to meet in the city so that we can start seeing the sites immediately. We all would like to see the Mint - which I think closes at 3 pm. Maybe we could meet at the visitor center - so that whoever gets here first can be making detailed plans. Is there more than one place that might be called a visitor center? (I hate it when everyone is waiting for the other person at different locations! ;-0 )

With this new info, any suggestions on how to travel, including pointing out previous ideas, appreciated.

Any suggestions of where to meet the DC relatives? and how to get there from original debarking site (to be determined) also appreciated.

PS I like the idea of a soft-sided duffel bag - but my uncle requires a lot of extra stuff & I don't want to crush him. LOL. I'll see the wheelchair tomorrow. Maybe we could hang one duffel bag from the handles & stow a smaller one in his lap.

Thanks again!

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

Please. We have one of those blue disabled parking placards. How is handicapped parking handled in Philly? E.g. if you have metered parking, would it be necessary to feed the meter if you have the placard displayed? are there municipal parking lots where we could get reduced rates?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

The airport area is about 15 minutes from the Historical District. If you're on a budget, that's a convenient area to stay. If you're driving in from your motel, bring some bucks for parking; you will need plenty.

The visitors center is on the NE corner of 6th and Market. The Liberty Bell Pavillion is directly across the street on the SE corner.(BTW, it wouldn't hurt to get free reserved tickets for the Liberty Bell as soon as possible... and prepare yourself to be screened to get in courtesy of 9/11). One block south of the Liberty Bell is Independence Mall. One block north of the visitors center is the Constitution Center on 6th and Arch. Around the way from there is the US Mint on 5th St, north of Arch. All of this and a meal should keep you busy until at least 3pm. The Bourse on 5th Street between Market and Chestnut has a food court. There are more sophisticated restaurants further east towards the waterfront in the Old City section.

You could probably tell your family to meet you and your uncle in the visitors center. You two could probably peruse all the information and find lots of helpful staff to answer your questions.

And again, I must stress that while taking a local NYC bus - or even Greyhound - is one thing, the Chinatown buses are another. I would not recommend those buses for senior citizens.

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

Thanks for your input. We now have reservations on Greyhound/Peter Pan. :)

Getting closer to making this trip a reality.

Thanks also for the info on where some things are and that we need to get tickets in advance to see the Liberty Bell!

I'm so glad I found this forum and all you nice people.

I've been checking answers to others as well. Good stuff.

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

Thanks to everyone for your earlier help and suggestions. You helped make our weekend trip to Philadelphia a success.

Peter Pan/Greyhound worked out well. We saw a lot of the sites. We especially enjoyed the Big Bus tour because it showed us so much more of the city than we would have seen on our own. You really get to see the geographical variety as well the famous sites. The Big Bus offered on/off privileges for 24 hours but as we had so many places to visit we only managed to get on for the last tour of the day on Friday and Sat.

We took turns pushing my uncle's wheelchair around. He thoroughly enjoyed the ride and how it conserved his energy. There were too many flights of stairs for him at the Betsy Ross house, so we left him to his newspapers and watching the 'fencing' lesson in the shade in the courtyard there. At Poe's house, we all watched the movie and then my uncle opted to listen to tapes of Basil Rathbone and others reciting some of Poe's poems while we toured the house (once again too many steps on narrow stairwells).

We also went to the Mint, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Carpenter's Hall, Benjamin Franklin museum (another good movie; there is a small elevator tucked away there too for anyone with a wheelchair), Ben Franklin PO, Reading Terminal.

Even without the buy one get one free coupon (we got at the Visitors' Center), we would have enjoyed the fare at City Tavern.

We met many more friendly Philidelphians, in person, this time. We'll definitely be back.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

Thank you for posting your trip report. I am glad you had such a nice time in our great city!

Also, am glad to hear that the entire experience worked out well for your uncle as well.

Please come back and visit us soon again and don't ever hesitate to post with questions.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: ground transport from nyc to philly airport

Excellent! Sounds like you and your family - especially your uncle - had a great time. Thanks for the trip report!