We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

Tennessee
Level Contributor
113 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

Hello-

My family and I will be traveling to PA in July. We will begin in Pittsburgh for a family reunion but we want to spend the following week in Philiadelphia. We have three children ages 11,5 and 2. We thought to fly into Pittsburgh (and eventually fly out of Philly back home) and then travel on to Philadephia after the reunion (3 days).

What is the best mode of transportation to get to Philadelphia?

Thanks

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

Its a rather long drive. I would fly.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

As RocknRoll said, it is a bit of a drive. Though originally from the Philadelphia area, I live near Detroit now and Detroit is closer to Pittsburgh than Philadelphia is!

Besides, booking flights to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and home (in that order) probably will be the most economical routing unless you will be traveling on different airlines.

[FYI. Amtrak also operates only one direct train a day between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Cost for adult is $47 one-way and this train takes about 7 1/2 hours, mainly because it stops 11 times before it gets to Philadelphia. The train runs during daytime and the view occasionally might be interesting, though I don't know how much fun it would be for your kids after the first few hours.]

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

Personally, I might consider the Amtrak option, although that also depends on how much airfare is..

The reasoning: Let's take a 1:00 flight - Arrive at the airport by 11:00 - 1:30 flying time, assuming on time (includes runway time), wait for luggage so figure in the city by 4:00.

Take the same train at 11:00 (I didn't look at the schedule BTW so this may not work), and you'll be in the city around 6:30, with less overall hassle.

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,118 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

Just FYI.

The sole daily, direct train leaves Pittsburgh at 7:20 a.m. and arrives in Philadelphia (30th Street) at 2:50 p.m.

Loonbeam makes a good point, so it really comes down to comparing total cost between flying and Amtrak and, of course, your feeling about how well the kids will tolerate the long train ride.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

yeah definetly fly with Southwest Airlines they only charge like $40 dollars one way and do not charge any extra luggage fees its only an hour flight and is really convenient

6. Re: Transportation from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 15, 2009