We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for Pats/Genos

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Parking for Pats/Genos

I've heard it's difficult to find parking near Pats and Genos. Exactly how hard is it to fine spots out there? Is there any street parking?

Thanks,

AZTraveller

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

You know, I never really have had trouble on the few occasions I've gone to Pat's or Geno's. But here's my two cents - I really think their steaks are just mediocre - you could eat a much tastier sandwich at either Jim's (4th and South) or Campo's (2nd and Market.) Good luck and happy cheesesteak eating!

Suzanne

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

Thanks for the information. Pats and Genos are so popular I guess even if the steaks aren't the best I'll have to give it a go. I am sure my coworkers from back East will ask me about it when I get back to Phoenix.

Thanks again,

AZTraveller

mid-Atlantic region
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

Pat's and Geno's are across the street from each other and located in a congested neighborhood in South Philadelphia. On weekend nights there's lots of cars, foot traffic and long lines. You could very easily drive around for 30 minutes and still end up parking blocks away from the steak shops.

If you're looking mostly to include Pat's and Geno's as part of the total "Philly experience", then be prepared. But, I totally agree with "mccarthys5": Pat's and Geno's are way over rated.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,850 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

You would be better off gtetting a _good_ cheesesteak at Jim's, Campo's, or Tony Luke's and then showing your friends how knowledgeable you are, as in, "Oh, I didn't go there, those places are for tourists. I went to where the natives go..."

You can get a Pat's/Geno's experience and a decent steak by going to Tony Luke's. It is a walk-up place just like Pat's and Geno's, but the food is good. And, as a bonus, parking is a whole lot easier.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
509 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

You know, in some regard, I disagree that you shouldn't go to Pat's or Geno's. Because they aren't the best doesn't mean that it still isn't a landmark. The fact is that they began the cheesesteak tradition in Philadelphia! I say go for it, go to Pat's and Geno's! It's half experience and half food. BUT, then head to one of the more tasty establishments if you can handle it. Then you'll understand.

Anyway, just like anything, timing is everything and parking can be a bear. It is fast turnover so cars come and go frequently.

frisco, tx
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

We'll be there next week for 4 days, we will try all 4 place - to heck with Weight Watchers.

East Coast
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

Parking isn't that bad. Maybe you wont get a spot right out front but so what.

And don't listen to anyone that tells you Campos steaks are better. They are probably family.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

I guess parking depends on which day of the week you go to that area. I've been there several times on Saturdays and never had a problem find a spot to park.

You may have to drive around more than once but you will eventually find a spot as people come and go.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

I'll most likely go to one of the steak places on Sunday July 5 in the afternoon (still haven't decided if I am deadset on Pats/Genos or trying one of the other recommendations).

Thanks again for the info!

AZTraveller

East Coast
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking for Pats/Genos

Really the only way to do it right is by having one steak at each.

That's the only true test of who is better.

I've done it and I say GENO's all day.