We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Will be in town 4 days at Divine Tracy Hotel in University City area (only inexpensive option I could find) want to see the most popular American history sights, and eat some real good Itilian food (reasonable). Is public trans safe at night between center city & my hotel? Appreciate any advice! Stan, Vermont

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Well the Divine Tracy will be a unique experience for those who respect their beliefs of modest dress and behavior. Another option much closer to downtown is the Travelodge on 12th and Race. I checked out their website and the avg rate for your stay would be $115. If you're *really* trying to stretch your lodging dollars, there is the Bank St. Hostel on Bank St. (imagine that!) between 3rd and 4th Sts, near Chestnut St.

From the Divine Tracy's location at 36th and Chestnut, you have the option of taking the 21 and 42 buses which travel eastbound towards Center City (westbound on Walnut on your return) and the Market-Frankford Blue Line Subway (or the Green Line Trolleys if you're visiting anything west of 15th). You will be fine on the buses which run all night albeit once an hour or so after midnight. The Blue Line converts to a bus shuttle around midnight as well. You will probably encounter a lot of nearby college students near your hotel. If you're comfortable in larger cities, you'll be fine.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Thanks for the info Tony, now I will have more options for my 2nd visit to Philly. I think I can handle The Divine Tracy for this trip anyway. Also thanks for the bus info, that helps out a lot for me as a first time visitor! Stan

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Divine Tracy. The name alone is worth a visit. Keep your door open if you have a guest and one foot on the floor whilst on the bed.

Chicago area, IL
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Check out Priceline.com for a hotel. I wanted really cheap, and knew I couldn't stay downtown, but I have a rental car so I found a Holiday Inn in Cherry Hill (15 minutes east in New Jersey) for $45 a night (that's less than half their posted rate on Travelocity)! You can select specific areas such as downtown, I started out naming a ridiculously low price, then upped it in $5 increments til it was accepted. You don't have a choice in actual hotels, but you can choose a star rating so you're pretty sure to get a nice place if you pick 3 star or better.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Philly visit Aug 12th

Just wondering how you found the Divine Tracy Hotel? I'm thinking of staying there myself.

PS Can you tell me about the Boston YMCA accommodation now that you've actually been there? Was it OK?

Thanks