We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

nanticoke,pa
Level Contributor
196 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

Will be picking my son up at the airport on 12-20. Any good restaurants nearby or on Pa. Turnpike? Not too expensive. Thanks. Also, any tips on the airport?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

There's not too much directly around the Philly airport except for the airport and hotels (and their accompanying restaurants). If you'll be taking the Turnpike west, a convenient stop would be King of Prussia - it'll take you about 30 minutes from the Airport. You have to pay the toll at the 76 / 276 split anyway, so it's convenient and easy on/off. Follow signs to "Mall Blvd."

Being the mall area, your options are endless here are a few reasonably priced options: Kildares for Irish, Maggianos for Italian, Cheesecake Factory for anything, Rock Bottom for American, Bahama Breeze for a more Carribean flavor, Champps or Fox and Hound sports bars, Chili's, etc etc.

Tips on the airport? My prediction is that your son's flight will be late. If you don't want to pay the exorbitant short-term parking fees, there is a nice free parking ("cell phone lot") area. It's a bit difficult to describe how to get to, but if you follow the signs for the Park-n-Ride, you'll find it. It's a small, out of the way lot - but it beats circling around the airport for an hour or paying the exorbitant short-term parking fees. It takes 4 minutes with traffic/lights to get from the cell lot to baggage claim C, so it's close. If you go the short-term parking route, it's relatively straight forward to find his Terminal. I think Terminal C has a little bar/restaurant to have a snack at if you have to wait.

Cheers!

B

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
205 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Chili's
Chili's
5 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

The King of Prussia interchange can be a little confusing, especially if there is a lot of traffic. Also, five days before Christmas means the mall is likely to be packed, which can make for an aggravating situation. If you are comfortable driving in situations like that, KoP would be the most "on the way" with more eating options and would be a good bet.

If you are like me and prefer easier driving, an easier option (but not as on the way) might be to get off 476N at exit 13 and turn left at the bottom of the ramp. There are several restaurants in downtown Wayne (about a five minute drive off the highway), and there is a nice diner-type restaurant just past downtown Wayne called Minella's that is pretty inexpensive with good food. It's where we take family when they come to visit us. There is a Chili's right next door to that too.

Mentioned in this post
Chili's
Chili's
5 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

I think Wayne is a good idea. KOP is most likely to be nuts by December 20th. Minella's is a great diner - to be honest, I am not a Chili's fan. Another good, reasonably-priced restaurant on North Wayne Ave is Christopher's. Check out their website for the menu, the food is pretty good and not expensive. Let us know if you want specific directions, happy to help.

Suzanne

Mentioned in this post
Chili's
Chili's
5 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

We're Minella's fans, too.

Lynn

nanticoke,pa
Level Contributor
196 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

Thanks for the info. We won't be going near King of Prussia because we'll be taking the NE extension of the turnpike to the Wilkes-Barre area. They'll probably be restaurants before you get on the turnpike.

The free parking lot sounds good. What is "cell phone" parking? This is near the park and ride?

It sounds like US air has a reputation for being late. My son is coming from Louisville, KY which is only a 2 hour flight. I would hate to wait 2 hours.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

I, too, would then suggest Wayne if you're taking 476 (exit 13, go left). Like Suzanne said, Christopher's is a good choice. There's also the Free House next door which also has great food and is a tad quieter and about the same price. I'm a fan of Minella's but just can't get myself to a diner for dinner.

The advertised cell-phone lot is the same lot as the Park-n-Ride. Since you'll be coming down 476 and taking 95 North, it's actually a bit easier to get to. Take the exit before the Airport (Cargo City) and watch for a little square sign that points to the Park-n-Ride. At one of the lights (I think the first), you have to take a Left (it has 2 left turning lanes and 2 straight lanes on to the airport). Once you go left, you go under 95 and around to the right - about a half mile to a mile down the road there is a little lot on the right. Just pull in and hang out.

If the flight is very delayed, head further down the road about a mile and there are some hotels with bar/restaurants that you can have a drink or snack in.

When you come out to pick up your son, you take a left out of the parking lot and head back to the light you originally turned left from. At that light, you go left and you're right at the airport - just one light in between is all.

Now, if you get off the advertised airport exit, go through the terminals and stay far to the right to circle back around (follow signs "Return to Terminals"). Now, you'll see the occasional sign for the Park-n-Ride.

I made it sound more work than it really is! You'll see the signs and they'll point you there. I hope his flight isn't late!

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

So you will be taking the Blue Route (I-476) north from I-95 to the Northeast extension. The options are the Blue Route exits, Plymouth Meeting, Lansdale, Qktown exits of the Tpk. Right? Nearby? avoid KoP, not worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth Meeting
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
8. Re: restaurants near airport (Pa. Turnpike)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 14, 2009