We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, Visiting Philadelphia area in a week

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
3 posts
Save Topic
Help, Visiting Philadelphia area in a week

I've been reading many helpful posts regarding what to see and do in Philadelphia. We (4 adults) will be driving to the area, is parking an issue? Do most of the hotels have parking or is it an extra fee? We want to be fairly close to Cooper River Park, NJ. If we stay in Philadelphia about how long of a drive would this be? (miles and approximate time) I read one message about staying in Maple Shade, NJ - what are the pros and cons? I have lots of questions - I am looking for something reasonably priced, but nice and in a safe area.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, Visiting Philadelphia area in a week

Parking downtown is expensive, except for Wednesday nights (and Sundays, I think) when on-street parking is free. It's one of the ways the city and some private companies make money from visitors and commuters who can't or won't use transit. Most downtown hotels will charge you too, at least $10 a night.

Here's some info I found about Cooper River Park:

Cooper River Park (346.55 acres) runs through Pennsauken, Cherry Hill, Collingswood and Haddon Township. The park is bounded by North and South Park Drives, Route 130 and Grove Street.

Bodies of Water within the Park:

Cooper River

Facilities:

William G. Rohrer Children's Playground with pavilions

2 Softball Fields

1 Cross Country Course

1 Restaurant - "The Lobster Trap"

1 Driving Range

1 Yacht Club- "The Cooper River Yacht Club"

1 Bike Path - 3.8 mile loop (Cuthbert to Rt. 130)

1 Bike Path - 1.35 miles (Cuthbert to Grove Street)

1 Pooch Park

4 Volleyball Courts

1 Miniature Golf Course

1 Boat Launch - for trailer & car-top boats. No gas motors.

Fishing

Jack Curtis Stadium

1 1/4 mile Cinder Track

4 Picnic Areas - (Wallenberg, Armitage, and Subaru Pavilions)

Indoor Rest Rooms at Stadium - open year round 10am - 10pm

1 Memorial Grove

Biofilter Wetland

Sculpture Garden

The pros of staying in Maple Shade - or anywhere in South Jersey - is that you'll be in a generally quiet suburb with less expensive hotel rates and parking is (more) likely to be free. Cherry Hill is probably your best bet for convenience to the both the park and Philadelphia. It's a popular suburb about 10 minutes over the Ben Franklin Bridge (I-676) after the city of Camden. At the risk of sounding like PI :) don't stop in Camden unless you have something specific in mind like the waterfront attractions. The city is trying but it still has more than its fair share of challenges. Mount Laurel and Pennsauken aren't bad, either. Maple Shade is a bit further out but still an okay place to stay.

The cons of staying in South Jersey are that you will likely have to take your car to get around anywhere. There are buses and trains that can take you to and from Philly, but it may seem like a hassle for a first-time visitor. Center City (what we locals call downtown Philly) is a walkable area. The Philly Phlash bus (www.phillyphlash.com) will take you to the major sights and save you some legwork. I believe they have a $5 all day pass. Cabs are also relatively inexpensive, maybe $5-10 a ride, depending on where you're going.

It really depends on how much time you'll be spending at Cooper River Park versus Philly whether staying in the city or the 'burbs is better for you.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, Visiting Philadelphia area in a week

tony's right. Staying in S. Jersey will likely be less expensive, but there isn't so much there. If you're just going to an event at the park, then something in the Cherry Hill area is probably a good bet. If you'll have any extra time to sightsee or you're interested in more dining or shopping options, Philly has a ton to offer.

As someone who grew up in South Jersey and then moved to Philly, I'd take a day in Philly over Jersey any day. Then again, I'm a person who prefers cities to their suburbs. If you're more comfortable or happy in the suburbs, Jersey is the spot for you.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
37 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, Visiting Philadelphia area in a week

If you will have time to tour Philadelphia, I say stay in central city. You will have to pay to park (around 25 dollars/per day) in the hotel garage in central city, Alternatively, if you stay near Cooper River Park, you could go to a PATCO (subway) lot, park your care and take the subway into Philadelphia. The trains are perfectly safe in the daytime (but need to be more aware of your surroundings at night). If you drive into Philadelphia, bring plenty of quarters and look for on-street parking (can be done-just avoid rush hour). Read all parking signs carefully. Philadelphia makes a lot of revenue from parking tickets and towing. Some of the main streets that have meter parking (like Walnut street) have no parking during the a.m. rush hour and between 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. weekdays. The tow trucks will be waiting at 3:25 and as soon as 3:30 hits, your car will be towed if you���re in one of these spots. Likewise if you are in a two-hour or three-hour only meter area, a parking person will walk around and write license numbers and times down and will return and give you a ticket. All said and done about parking, Philadelphia is a great city to visit. I good place to stay is the Sheraton Society Hill (you can leave your car here in the garage and do a lot of walking to the historical sites and fantastic restaurants, three independent movie houses, and to the Walnut Theater (currently showing West Side Story). One definite must see is the Philadelphia Art Museum. During weekdays the art museum parking lot (in back of the museum is free), weekends it���s $ 5.00 to park. If you want to do some touring north of the city, drive to Doylestown in Bucks County (about 1 �� hours from Philadelphia if not during rush hour). In Doylestown visit the Michener Art Museum, Mercer Castle, and Font Hill Mansion, next to the Michener Art Museum (and across for Mercer���s Caslte) is Bucks County���s main branch of the public liberty, which is good place to sit and browse when tired. Doylestown is a charming livable town with antique shops and cafes. Alternatively, after visiting the museums in Doylestown, you could drive to New Hope which is more touristy (gets crowds from New York)

Doylestown websites http://www.michenerartmuseum.org/

http://www.mercermuseum.org/