We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
elj
Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

Hey folks,

Ok, so I was born, raised, and lived in Philly for 26 years of my life, yet I have not seen nearly 80% of the city!!! (I know, I know, truly shameful.) My hubby & I might be going 'home' to visit during the week of the 4th of July. I need tips on what to see. Being that I worked in the Independence Mall area for nearly 3 years, I know about the LB, Constitution Center, Franklin Court, etc. We've also been to the Art Museum. Any other tips on what to see/do? I've got the Sunoco festival in the back of my mind, as well as restaurants. Any suggestions on great ethnic restaurants that are moderately priced are welcome. Thanks.

-elj

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

Hey Elj, welcome "home"! :) Seems like you know your way around all the historical sites. If you remember the Art Museum , you might also recall seeing the Academy Of Natural Sciences, The Franklin Institute and the Rodin Museum on the way up the Parkway. For something off the beaten path - in more ways than one - there's also the Mutter Museum over on 22nd and Chestnut.

The Sunoco Welcome America festival should be in full force by the time you get here. Not too many details out yet but the main concert on the 4th includes Elton John among others. Dare I say that we have one of the better fireworks displays on that night too! :)

I'll defer to others on the ethnic restaurants but I do know that Philly is just as good a restaurant town as ever. I'm certain there are quality places downtown for a mid-sized wallet.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
37 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

A good Turkish Restaurant is Konak. The restaurant is very pretty, it is like you are in a Turkish dining room in a mansion. At times they have Turkish music, singers, and belly dancers. The food is good, prices are reasonable, the only thing I wouldn���t get is the Turkish wine but they do sell mixed drinks and the Apple tea is delicious. Best of all for old city is they have free parking (unattended lot parking at Vine and Second Street- write down your license number and give it to them so they know your eating there.

Konak is located at 228 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 Phone (215) 592-1212

This is old Vine Street located between the Ben Franklin Overpass and the Vine Street Expressway Overpass in old city. They are also open late

elj
Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

Thanks for the suggestions... been to the Franklin Institute, Academy of N.S., etc. But we might think about the Rodin Museum.

The Turkish restaurant sounds interesting...we'll give it some thought!

Any other suggestions?

-elj

Glensdie
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

Hi Welcome back...

I don't know if you know about this yet but Live 8 is being planned for July 2 and out to be quite a scene. You can get details at www.electricfactory.com.

I also like all the italien restaurants in South Philly that i have ever been too! Can't name em -- sorry.

There's also a great falafale vendor all the way down by like 23rd and Market!

the Mutter Museum is fun.

I also used to work at the Morris Arboretum which is stunning and the Camden Aquarium has just been revamped.

Kelly

elj
Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphian returning for a visit needs tips (believe it...

Kelly, I heard about Live 8 in Philly the moment it was announced - and what a weekend to pick! Not only is it is falling at tail end of the Sunoco Festival, we're arriving that day! We had originally planned to go to DC, but switched our itinerary to Philly a few weeks back. Now we have to deal with it. :)

I heard downtown's going to be shut down to traffic for a couple of blocks around the Museum. It's going to be a nightmare getting around unless you take Septa, I would think. Plus, some of the museums are closing on the 2nd; I have to check their schedules.

Does anyone know of any parasailing places within an hour/hour's drive? I saw a place online somewhere down the Shore, but if anyone has been there, let me know. Thanks.

elj