We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

I'm looking for a terrific Greek restaurant in Philly. I know there used to be one (many years ago) on Sansom Street, but now I don't know where to go for a really good Greek meal. Anyone have any suggestions? Any price range. Thanks.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

South Street around 6th/5th on the North side. Prices range from cheap gyro type fare to moderate.

Philly
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

My favourite Greek is Dimitri's. The original location is on 3rd and Catherine I think (a few blocks south of South Street). It is tiny, BYOB, they do not take reservations so be prepared to wait, especially on the weekends. Everything is grilled and fresh. They have another location on 24th and Pine street, pretty much the same menu, but this one has a full bar.

I think the place PhillyItalian has in mind is South Street Souvlaki. I like that one a lot too. It is a bit different, food seems a bit heavier to me, but I suspect maybe it is more authentic Greek? They have great stuffed peppers there (although I had to scrape off the bechamel sauce, it was just too much for me. That is what I mean that the food is heavier, more sauces, more oil.)

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

Thanks.. I've heard of them both and will definately give them a try.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

Moominek, I never heard of Dmitris before but I will give it a try. I love the Greek because I used to date a Greek chick once who used to make me gyro, kebobs and stuffed vine leaves. We split up becase her family didnt like Italians.

Philly
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

PhillyItalian,

Greeks not liking Italians? Aren't they, like, neighbours? Are Italians stealing their girls? ;-).

I am afraid that you may be dissapointed in Dimitri's if you expect a traditional Greek fare. No kebobs or gyros there. Lots of grilled seafood and some lamb. But maybe there are different kinds of Greek food depending on the region? I know that northern Italian food is very different form southern Italian food, maybe it is the same case?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Greek restaurants in Philly?

Moominek,

Italians is very open minded people. Italian men will go out with any type of chick, Hispanic Irish, Black, Asian or even Amish. But Greek are orhtodox people. they dont like to mix too much with non-Greek.