We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

Hi all -

our group was in Philly for a wedding during Memorial Weekend. It was my first trip out there and we all stayed at the Marriott Courtyard right downtown -- an EXCELLENT property we were able to secure for $139/night.

Two things I was not prepared for -

Where can you buy a 12pack or case of beer? I told our taxi driver to stop at a liquor store on the way to the hotel, and we only saw wine & booze. We stocked up, but wanted beer. The driver said you have to to go special places to pick up just beer - and he wasn't familiar where.

Same with our limo driver after the wedding - he got lost trying to find a beer outlet.

Is beer just not drunk in Philly? Seems to be a 'best kept secret' of where to buy it.

The other thing was the panhandlers. Minneapolis has their share of panhandlers, but Philly's got that beat 20 to 1. The last straw was being hit up by people sitting at the next booth at a fast food outlet. After 6 days, we thought the town motta was "Spare Change, Sir?"

We were on foot for all the touristy items, so we must have stuck out from the locals - and easy targets.

Overall, we had a great time. We got to Eastern State Penn prison for the tour, and caught King Tut, Rocky Steps, the historic district.

We didn't have car, so our thoughts for SixFlags fell thru, but I'd go back to Philly to catch it.

The Capital Grille down the street from the hotel ROCKS ! Thanks Roz !!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

I'm glad you enjoyed the wedding and the city in general, even with your concerns.

Pennsylvania has admittedly strict laws on retailing alcohol compared to some other states. To my knowledge (since I don't drink), beer is sold only at licensed distributors and some deli-type establshments. Wine and liquor is sold at state-sponsored "Wine and Spirits" stores. There is a huge one on the 1100 block of Chestnut Street, a mere walking distance from the Marriott Courtyard. Alcohol is not sold in any supermarkets in PA (or NJ and DE, for that matter). Of course, Philly has its fair share of bars as well as restaurants that serve alcohol. Buying a six-pack of beer at the spur of the moment can be a bit of a challenge if you don't know where to go.

I respect your estimation of the proportion of entrepreneurial transients in Philly vs. Minneapolis... but to me, the urban reality downtown in that regard isn't much different that any other major city. That said, I've found that the area between the convention center and historic district can feature a higher concentration of transients, perhaps to solicit the numerous daily commuters who exit the nearby trains. They're not as visible in other parts of downtown. But as you know, that's life in the city.

Hope you make it back for another trip!

Tony

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

Tony -

thanks !

I do believe the taxi hit the wine/spirits store by the hotel -

but if you could garner the address for the beer distributor that would be close by - that would help.

We were looking to get a few cases - and drink in our rooms / by the pool, etc. as we had 3 days after the wedding to enjoy Philly over Memorial weekend.

I do want to do Six Flags -

if I was coming out specifically for that, what major city would be best for my base? Philly or Atlantic City, or ??

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

I couldn't remember offhand so I did a little googling. Both of these are in the Art Museum area which is a doable walk from the Convention Center but those cases might wear you out on the way back.

Stone's Beverage Center - 1701 Fairmount Avenue. (I believe I've actually seen this one.)

Franklin Beer Distributor - 1837 Callowhill Street.

Six Flags is pretty centralized - probably by design between the Philly and New York metros. It might be slightly closer from AC but your flight options to that city would be relatively limited. So it really would depend on what else you wanted to do besides Six Flags.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

Six Flags is closer to Philly than AC, and maybe very slightly closer to Philly than Manhattan.

NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

Hi Minneapolis!! Unfortunately, the hotel you stayed at was on the other side of Broad Street and the other side of City Hall - you were in a "united nations" section if you will!! That is not a good area at all.. you would have been better off taking the Ben Franklin Bridge and staying in South Jersey..it's a ten minute ride at most... Or -You would have had a nicer stay if you were at one of the hotels on Broad street..there's a double tree there that is fabulous and so many great restaurants...plus the night life and alcohol is closer...Next time ask around I guess...glad the wedding turned out well though...

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

JJsims -

The area around the hotel is not bad, and what, exactly, do you mean by a "united nations" area?

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

I'm a bit confused as well, as the Courtyard is only a couple of blocks from the Doubletree, maybe 3 at most. I would consider them to be in the same vicinity.

Suzanne

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

I can't speak for Philly exactly, but in general, in PA, most bars will sell you a six pack. Just ask the bartender if they sell six packs and if not, do they know the closest bar that does. They're usually really overpriced tho.

SixFlags is a great time. If you like roller coasters and haven't been before...go to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. One of the best parks for coasters!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

Didn't see your other question about where to stay if you come back specifically for Six Flags. There are hotels in the area around Six Flags. If you are going for a day or two, just to do Six Flags, stay there. If you wanted to make it an extended stay, I'd say stay in Philly since you seemed to enjoy the city so much!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our trip to Philly - two things I was not prepared for --

I posted this info many months ago. Here's the way it works:

It's very simple, really...

You can buy one bottle, one can (or one glass) of beer in a bar, but you can't take it away from the bar. It must be consumed in the bar.

You can buy a six pack of bottles or cans, or quart bottles in bars that choose to sell them, or in delis that have a license to sell beer. You can buy up to two six packs or quart bottles, but they must be placed in a paper bag prior to leaving the premises. You cannot consume any of the beer on the premises. I never said this made any sense.

You can buy a case of beer at a beer distributor, but it won't be cold, and you can't consume it there. Kegs can also be obtained at the beer distributors, especially if you are member of a fraternity and are under 21.

Wine is sold in Pennsylvania state liquor stores (now called Wine & Spirits Shoppes), at wineries, or at specially approved winery concessions which may be located in any number of places, such as a supermarket. These are very rare, and sell only their own wine. Or, you can buy wine in New Jersey and import it illegally into Pennsylvania. Shhh.

Once you've got all this, you are ready to understand our sales tax, which doesn't tax clothing but taxes gloves and hats, doesn't tax food (unless you eat it where you bought it), but taxes toilet paper. It goes on from there, but you're already confused, so i won't get into drug store items.