We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Lake Zurich...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation

I will be in Philly on a layover on my way to Greece. Is there any bus/train type of transportation from the airport into th city?

If so... how long does it usually take?'

Thanks!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Yes, but how long is your layover?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

Hi Katie,

There is a train that runs from the Airport to Center City. It takes about twenty-five minutes. A cab ride would probably be quicker (depending on where you want to go and the time of day) and has a flat rate of about $27. However, be advised that upon return to the airport you will have to go through security and will need to be there at least two hours before your flight.

Lynn

Lake Zurich...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation

Thanks, Would train be the best bet? We have a layover of about 5 hours. Just wanted to get a bite to eat somewhere good in the city.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation

Unfortunately, you won't have enough time to get to town, eat, and get back. Too much can go wrong, and you do need to be back at least 2 hours in advance. Your best bet is to stay in the airport. There is a TGIFriday's at least, so you're not suck with generic airport food.

Lake Zurich...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation

Sorry to bother you again! I just really had my heart set on a cheesesteak! We arrive at 10:30 am and our flight to Athens leaves at 4. In other words you said that we would want to be at the airport by 2. You dont think that would be enough time on the train?

Thanks for your help!!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation

Well, it's just that you never know. Stuff happens. I commute by train every day, and I can count on being severly delayed (1 hour or more) 2 or 3 times a year, and it always happens when I really need to be somewhere. Also, if you are flying USAir, you will be late getting in. And, if your luggage isn't checked through, you will need to pick it up and check it in again, which is very time consuming. BTW, if you have that option, take it. USAIr is famous for misdirecting luggage during transfers. Additionally, I can't think of a good cheesesteak place close to any of the train stations.

As to taxi: $54 is a lot to pay for a couple of cheesesteaks. They're good, but not THAT good. You can get really good one closer to the airport, at Tony Luke's, Front & Oregon. That's definitely a cab ride- probably about $30 round trip I'm guessing. Still a lot to pay, IMO, but the cab driver will be suitably impressed that you know to go there. :)

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation

I have to agree with Owlyn that a cheesesteak is not worth the expense. However, there are many excellent restaurants close to I-95 or the train stations. Assuming you do arrive in Philly at 10:30 you should be able to get a great lunch. However, be sure on what time you must return to the airport. At times you must allow 3 hours before your flight time.

All that being said, what kind of food do you like? If you really want a cheesesteak in town then I recommend Campo's on the 200 block of Market. It will keep you close to I-95 and you'll be in a fun area for walking. If you want to take the train you could get off at Market Station East and go to Rick's in the Reading Terminal Market. There's nothing like the Reading Terminal Market!

Lynn

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation

Regarding luggage -

I believe that when you fly within the US and then have a connection to go out of the country your luggage goes through. It's when you come back and need to clear Customs that you have to claim your luggage, go through Customs, and then recheck it for the domestic flight.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Lynn

9. Re: Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 01, 2009