We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

My husband is going to be working in Philadelphia for the week following our first wedding anniversary so we are going to spend the preceding weekend in the city (19-20 May) as well. I would be very grateful for suggestions about what to do in Philadelphia over the weekend, and especially romantic restaurant recommendations for the Sunday evening, and bars for any time. We like most cuisines, and would like to go somewhere fairly high end. We're British, living in Rhode Island, aged 30 and 31. We're staying at the airport Marriott on the Saturday night and moving to a more central Marriott for the rest of the trip. Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you (this is my first post...)

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
325 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

Check out http://www.spiritcitycruises.com/ph/index.jsp

for the anniversary dinner. I've never done it, but I bought tickets for my sister as an engagement present and they loved it.

A lot of people eat at restaurant's along penn's landing and then stroll along the pier afterwards, but it tends to be crowded with couples and in my opinion takes away the uniqueness of your anniversay, and lacks originality.

A similar, and I feel better option would be the waterworks restaurant behind the art museum, you have the schuylkill there, boathouse row, etc. pretty romantic.

www.thewaterworksrestaurant.com/main.cfm

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

High-end, I would eat at the Fountain Room at the Four Seasons. You can see a sample menu on their website to see if the cuisine is to your liking. The atmosphere is lush and romantic and the food divine.

Also, high-end, but if you want something smaller, Vetri would be my recommendation. Excellent Italian cuisine - very unusual food but delicious. Again, check out the website. They have a chef's tasting menu that is well worth its weight. You might have trouble getting reservations, though (for either place, but definitely for Vetri, I am guessing) so I would book VERY soon (although Sunday should be easier than Saturday night.)

If you are looking somewhere to go out for dinner on Saturday night that's more casual, I would definitely suggest one of the Stephen Starr restaurants - trendy, fun and very good food. I like Alma de Cuba (Cuban), Tangerine (Mediterranean), Buddakan (Asian), El Vez (Mexican) and the Continental Midtown (global tapas.)

Fun bars - there's a bunch to choose from, but here are some of my favorites:

The Black Sheep (near Rittenhouse Square)

Plough and the Stars (Old City)

Standard Tap (Northern Liberties)

McGillin's (oldest bar in Center City)

Nodding Head (center city microbrewery)

White Dog Cafe (University City)

The Bards (near Rittenhouse Square)

Rouge (Rittenhouse Square)

Tria (wine/beer bar near Rittenhouse Square)

Mexican Post (great place for margaritas in Old City, although the bar area is small)

Continental - (martini bar in Old City)

There's a start. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

I second Suzanne's recommendations of the Fountain Restaurant and Vetri. Another similar option is Lacroix in the Rittenhouse Hotel.

If you want awesome seafood in a beautiful, hip environment check out XIX (Nineteen) on the 19th floor of the Hyatt Park Bellevue Hotel. They also serve some non-fish dishes and they have (IMO)the most inviting barroom in Philadelphia.

More intimate and heavy on romance is Overtures, a BYO on Passyunk Ave. just off South Street between 5th and 6th. Excellent French/Mediterranean fusion and the restaurant has been described as so romantic you could fall in love with your worst enemy. I don't don't know anyone who's actually tested that comment, but my husband and I had our first date there.

Lynn

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

Thank you all so much! I wasn't expecting such detailed responses so quickly. Sounds like we'll be spoiled for choice - hopefully we'll be able to try out more than just the one place. Really appreciate your recommendations.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

I agree completely with Suzanne and Lynn about the Fountain Room. It is such a special treat and, despite being located in the Four Seasons Hotel, the service is absolutely unpretentious. In fact, we found the service at the hotel to be lovely and unpretentious.

I also agree with Suzanne's Stephen Starr restaurant recommendations. My favorites are Alma de Cuba and Tangerine but any of them will be fun!

Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary and have a great time in Philly! Moms

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

Also ~ consider Waterworks Resturant adjacent to the Art Museum.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

Thanks again. I have booked the Fountain Restaurant due to the fact that it was the most frequently recommended, and because there was a window table with a nice view available!

Thank you for the bar recommendations too Suzanne. Are any of those near the Fountain Restaurant or Marriott Courtyard Downtown for drinks before/after? Or is the Four Seasons hotel bar good for a pre-dinner drink?

I'm now looking at the options for the other mealtimes, although I don't think they'll be quite so high end! Would we need to make a reservation for Saturday dinner at Alma de Cuba? I've just noticed they have four different types of Mojito so I won't be able to keep my husband away from this place...

Is there a particular street or area with several of these restaurants/bars in that we would wander around and choose whatever appeals?

Sorry to ask so many questions! I'm more than happy with recommendations to date but as you're all so knowledgable it would be a waste not to ask ;)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

The Four Seasons is an excellent choice. Enjoy your anniversary dinner there (I hope you let them it was your 1st wedding anniversary!)

The Swann Lounge is lovely for pre-dinner drinks. If you are looking for an area dense with bars/restaurants, Old City is the best place to go. You can walk there from the Courtyard, it's about 12 blocks, straight down Market Street - it's a healthy walk, but very doable. If the weather is bad (or have heels on, which usually ends up being my issue!), you can take a quick cab ride for around $5. By the way, I've stayed at that Courtyard next to City Hall and it is a very nice Courtyard, so no worries about the hotel. Make sure you get to Reading Terminal Market right around the corner for either breakfast or lunch one day.

Alma de Cuba is very good. I would definitely make reservations for Saturday night, though. The mojitos are excellent. It is very hip, sleek and modern with good food but just a FYI, it is not inexpensive. Certainly not as high-end as the Fountain, but not cheap. I'd say entrees hover around the mid-high 20's.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

Suzanne

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

I did mention our anniversary and they made a note!

Thanks again for more advice. We'll certainly be making the most of the strong pound while we're in Philly!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Wedding Anniversary in Philadelphia

Don't remind me about the exchange rate - I'm going to Ireland for the month of July and the euro is dismal!!

Suzanne