We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PHL tyo City Center

Which Philadelphia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
PHL tyo City Center

I am coming to Philly for the Dali exhibit nexst weekend and can't wait. Can anyone suggest the most convenient and inexpensive way to get from Philadelphia Int'l Airport to the Hampton Inn next to the convention center? Does the subway go to the airport? I am not opposed to buses. How much would a cab ride costs?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PHL tyo City Center

You can take the R1 train from the Airport to Market East Station. If you walk out at the 11th and Market exit, Hampton Inn would be about 2 (very walkable) blocks west and 6 blocks north of there. The train will run you $7.00. A cab may run you about $20. If you have a lot of luggage or don't prefer to walk much, the cab may be the better bet. There's no direct bus between the airport and downtown.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PHL tyo City Center

Hamtpon Inn is in a rough part of town, take care if arriving after 8pm.

Safest route if you want to train in is to get off at Suburban walk up 16th and turn right at Race (start walking fast when you are on Race).

Philly
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PHL tyo City Center

I do not understand why we are trying to scare the pants off the potential visitors to our city. Could it be the negative Philadelphian attitude?

There is nothing wrong with that area at all. I have walked there by myself plenty of times after 8 pm and I am a woman.

I would rather take a cab from the airport just for the convenience sake. If you have more than 1 person travelling, the difference in price is not that big. The cabs have a flat fee from airport to anywhere in the center city and it is 20 bucks (maybe 25 now). The train runs only every 20 min, maybe less often after 8. If you decide to take a train, get off at Market East, not Suburbean station, it is closer.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
79 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PHL tyo City Center

Think the train is a grood choice. Be aware there is maintence work on the R1 line durning the weekend - all night into the morning. Shouldn't be a problem if you're coming in during the day. Check out the details on www.septa.org/service/rr_schedules.html

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PHL tyo City Center

Moominek, you been talking some of the Dali juice eh to get into the spirit of the exhibition. I'm not negative on Phila but I'm not looking at it with rose colored glasses either you understand? For someone whose hitting the town for the first time certain areas are trecherous. Its better that these people know that beforehand.

Are you denying theres a mission on Race close to Hampton?

If you really were local to that area you would know that lunch time is a jungle down that street.

Get real.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: PHL tyo City Center

I'm not sure of the address of the Hampton Inn, but if it is near the convention center there is nothing wrong with that area. I've been there alone (I'm a woman in her late twenties) during the day and the evening a number of times and I've never felt unsafe.

And I second taking the train. It's pretty quick and much cheaper than a cab.