We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a few hours

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
442 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for a few hours

My daughter and I land at 9:20am on the 17th and have an international flight at 9:15pm. We do have TSA Pre if that helps. Would it be possible for us to see anything with a short timetable? Not sure how close the airport is to everything. I've always wanted to see the Liberty Bell. I looked at the Independence Hall reservations and the tickets are sold out. It's rather last minute for us. Any suggestions? I've never been to Philadelphia. My daughter is 14. Thanks for any advice you have.

Mentioned in this post
Independence Hall
Independence Hall
7,890 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
12 replies to this topic
Southern NJ
Level Contributor
988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

The downtown area, referred to as Center City, can be reached via a train that stops at each terminal. Our trains are run by SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) which is your BART. It takes about 20 minutes from the airport to the Jefferson Station in Center City, which is about 5 blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Right next to the station is the Reading Terminal Market that has lots of places to eat since it’ll be close to lunchtime when you get here. You’ll have to checkin for your international flight first and check your luggage so you won’t have to carry it around. Enjoy your short visit. I’m sure you two will be exhausted after flying all night from the “city by the bay”.

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Independence Hall
Independence Hall
7,890 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,638 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Just a couple of minor corrections to the above post. The trip from the airport to Jefferson Station takes about 30 minutes, and it's about a 6 block walk to Independence Hall. Our downtown area is pretty flat, so the extra block shouldn't be a bother.

The airport trains run twice an hour, so factor that into your timing. Fare will be $5.25/person each way if you buy your tickets at the kiosk. If you pay on board, it is $7/person each way, cash only. You could also take a taxi or Uber/Lyft. If there is no traffic, that trip takes about 15-20 minutes. Taxi fare is a fixed price, and should run around $33 including tip.

Here is a link to the SEPTA information:

http://www.septa.org/welcome/airport.html

Mentioned in this post
Independence Hall
Independence Hall
7,890 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
442 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Thank you both. I appreciate the details. You are right that we’ll be tired. Are there any brokers who are legitimate sellers of tickets to Independence Hall! Thanks for all the help.

Mentioned in this post
Independence Hall
Independence Hall
7,890 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Southern NJ
Level Contributor
988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

You can check Stubhub to see if there are any tickets available. I’m not sure if the tickets hit the secondary resale market. There are lots of other historical places to see like the relatively new Museum of the American Revolution, National Constitution Center that has an exhibition on Hamilton, Carpenter Hall, Betsy Ross House, and Ben Franklin’s burial site. There’s a hop on hop off bus that will give you an overview of the city but your time will be short. It will take you to the Art Museum and the Rocky Statue. I hope you and your daughter enjoy yourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Museum of the American Revolution
Museum of the American...
689 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
National Constitution Center
National Constitution...
1,355 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Hamilton
Hamilton
Ontario, Canada
Betsy Ross House
Betsy Ross House
959 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Renaissance Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
Renaissance Philadelphia...
17 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Rocky Statue
Rocky Statue
2,540 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Tickets to independence hall are free, they can be booked online from the park service for a small processing fee or are first come first serve. They are not required after 5 PM in the summer.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
442 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Thanks for all of the ideas of more places to see. Some of those sound super interesting. I’m not yet sure when I feel I need to head back to the airport. I won’t need to check any bags, but I want a comfortable amount of time. Thanks for all the help.

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
988 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Your international flight is at 9pm so I would start heading back from Center City around 6:30ish. That should be plenty of time to make it back at least 2 hours before your flight leaves. You may be tired way before that, though.

Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Liberty Bell, independence Hall (Lines can be really long), Reading terminal market, observatory Deck, Art muesuem. You can blow a couple hours doing something of that stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Independence Hall
Independence Hall
7,890 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
442 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Thanks so much again. I know there is a train from the airport. If we need to go UBER/LYFT/Taxi route, does anyone have a preference? thanks.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for a few hours

Check the train schedule. They run every half hour. If you don't have to wait more than a few minutes, I would take that.A taxi is $28.50 plus $1 for each additional passenger plus tip. Check Uber and Lyft and take the cheapest of the three. If it's non-surge pricing, Uber/Lyft will be better priced.

I would get off the train at Jefferson Station and start at the Reading Terminal Market, or get dropped off there. Have lunch and then cross the street and get on the Philly Phlash. It's a HOHO for only $5 and loops around Center City.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Reading Terminal Market
Reading Terminal Market
3,857 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Philly PHLASH
Philly PHLASH
475 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Reply to: Recommendations for a few hours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted