We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th Street Station to hotel on Chestnut St.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
30th Street Station to hotel on Chestnut St.

Hi. I've never been to Philly before and will be there this August with my 15-year old son for one full day of visiting. Will be arriving around 10 pm at the train station. Should we cab over or are there any cheaper options? Approximate cost of cab?

Any other tips on what not to miss?

Many thanks.

John

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th Street Station to hotel on Chestnut St.

The cross street at 30th Street Station is Market Street which is one block north of Chestnut. Considering your arrival time, I believe the cab would be the most efficient way of getting to your destination. Depending on where your hotel is, it shouldn't be more than $10. There are commuter trains inside 30th and an a subway across the street... but the former may not let you off close enough to your sray... and the latter may be comfortable for the more adventurous tourist at that time of night.

Another person has a good thread on here about the "top ten things in Philly" to see in a day or two. I think you would find that useful.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th Street Station to hotel on Chestnut St.

Hey Tony, thanks. If it's only around $10 that will be fine. Better than trying to lug baggage around on the subway. Much appreciated.

John

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th Street Station to hotel on Chestnut St.

You're welcome, John. I hope you and your son have a good time in our fair city!

Tony

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th Street Station to hotel on Chestnut St.

Cab it pal. Unless your 15 year old is built like tyson.

After 9pm the transients descend from the streets of philly into the deserted 30th, Suburban and Market stations like goblins entering the bowls of hell. 30th has cops but Suburban and Market are far more dangerous.

During the day the trip is a pleasant enough (if unvervingly lonely walk) acrross Market but at 10pm ...