We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

NY
4 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

I've heard the Ride the Ducks tour is a fun way to see the historical sites or is better to take the purple tour buses. If we take the ducks tour, does it drop you off at a convenient place to see other sites? What's in the vicinity of the drop off point? Any other ideas in what to see with kids in the age range of 7-10? Thanks for any replies.

Photography Tours Of Philadelphia
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
SailingPhiladelphia
Boat Tours, Boat Rentals, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ryerss Museum and Library
Art Galleries, Libraries, Art Museums, Sightseeing Tours
Newtown
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

I can't comment on the tours, having never done one. But for kids of that age the Franklin Institute is a must. There's also the Musuem of Natural History right around the corner from it (if they like dinosaurs).

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

When do you plan to be here? I ask because in the warmer months Independence National Historical Park comes alive with actors playing Colonists and with story tellers. Even at other times of year the park has many places good for kids, including the Liberty Bell, Franklin Court, the Betsy Ross House and the National Constitution Center.

Other recommendations:

Fireman's Hall - Museum of Philadelphia firefighting has early equipment and velicles, old photos and earlier depictions, a 9/11 memorial, and more, housed in a 19th C. firehouse.

Reading Termijnal Market - the essence of Philadelphia, see www.readingterminalmarket.org for more info.

The Philadelphia Museum of Art is very kid-friendly and has some great sections for children, including the Armory and the Asian area. The Museum sits at the edge of Fairmount Park, great for strolling along Boathouse Row and the Schuykill River. This area is breathtakingly beautiful in Spring.

If you are accustomed to going to the Museum of Natural History in NYC I would skip the PA Academy of Natural Sciences.

Depending on when you will be here there may be a festival at Penn's Landing. They occur throughout the warmer months.

Franklin Square - this historic square near the north edge of the national Park was converted last year to a small amusement park with playground, mini-golf, and carousel.

Hope that helps,

Lynn

Mentioned in this post
National Constitution Center
National Constitution...
1,331 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Penn's Landing
Penn's Landing
322 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

My kids love the Ride the Ducks tour. It give a very general overview of the historic area but it is such fun to "quack" around town that your kids will have a good sense of the city while having fun. It starts and finishes next to the Liberty Bell pavillion on 6th near Chestnut. I would take the tour first then hit the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. In terms of the historic sites, the Independence Hall tour is my kids' least favorite. They enjoy the Liberty Bell and the Constitution Center. I have said many times that the Constitution Center amazes me. How they made a document into such a hand's on museum is so wonderful. The monologue as you enter the museum is very moving. I also highly recommend the Lights of Liberty tour, even for kids. It is offered at night during the warmer months. They take you on a guided tour of the historic district at night and shine on many of the historic buildings pictures of what was happening inside during the Revolution. You wear headsets and as you approach the exhibits the video comes on as does the audio. The adult version is moderated by Walter Cronkite and the kids version is Whoopi Goldberg. I have listened to both and must say that I prefer the kids version. It is told from the perspective of a child growing up during the Revolution. It is not boring and my kids have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I second the Franklin Institute and the Art Museum recommendations. My husband took my son's Cub Scout Pack to the Art Museum on Family Sunday recently and the scouts, all of whom prefer any activity involving a sport or video game, had a great time. Again, Sunday's at the museum are very hands on. There is frequently music playing from a band related to the theme of the week, artists teaching kids how to draw like some of the greats, and other activities. The Franklin Institute is just plain fun. All hands on science and lovingly named after our hometown inventor Ben Franklin. The giant heart that you walk through is an institution!

Have a great time with your kids. Philly is a perfect choice for their age! Moms

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

Just saw that you are here for only a day. Stick to the Historic District but do try to have lunch at the Reading Terminal Market. It's terrific! After visiting for the day, I'm sure you'll want to return. Moms

Mentioned in this post
Reading Terminal Market
Reading Terminal Market
8,535 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
5. Re: Day trip to Philly w/Kids, 7,8,10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 19, 2009