We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

We (four adults) will be visiting Philadelphia for only 24 hours. From what I have read, it sounds like we should visit Liberty Bell Center and Independence Hall & Carpenter's Hall for sure. Any other suggestions? Someone suggested to eat a Philly steak sandwich..

Also, what area should I look for a hotel if we want to stay near most attractions?

Thank you in advance for your help and ideas.

10 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,917 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

What type of hotel? Around Independance Hall is fine

https:/…MAPVIEW

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

Center City Philly is very compact and walkable. Since you are interested in sites in the historical area you should stay there. For cheesesteak information, see the FAQs on the right side of non-mobile devices. You may want to do a HOHO bus. That will give you a view of our entire Center City.

https:/…

Have lunch at The Reading Terminal Market. When are you coming and will you be driving?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

There are so many important historic sites (Congress Hall should also be toured) in Philly that, with only 24 hours, you might want to just eat in the historic district. Sonny's, on the 200 block of Market, is 3 blocks from the Bell and makes an excellent cheesesteak.

I agree that the Big Bus Tour is a great way to get an overview of Center City.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

Great advice! thank you.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

Mid range hotel. It does not have to have many amenities because we are only there for one night. We typically stay at Marriott Courtyards if that helps.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

Thank you for the Bus idea. We will definitely check into the tour with our limited time in Philly.

Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

I've heard so many good things about Longwood Gardens, but I am arriving Sept 28th-Oct 11th. I know the summer displays (fountains) are on through the 30th, but what are the actual gardens like this time of year? Probably too early for fall color, and too late for the peak blooms, but would it still be worth renting a car to drive out there? I love photographing gardens around the world! Thanks for any opinions!

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

aussieswife, rather than hijacking this thread, please start a new one. Thank you.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

Check out Morris House Hotel, which is unique boutique hotel in a great location for the historic sites. Their prices likely fall within your budget.

Edited: 1:14 am, September 23, 2017
Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??

One thing, we don't call it a Philly steak sandwich. It's called a cheesesteak. 😀

Reply to: 24 hours in Philadelphia... Where to stay??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted