We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devils Tower, Wyoming

Arvada, CO
2 posts
Save Topic
Devils Tower, Wyoming

We're planning a trip to include a swing around to Devils Tower. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best time to visit Devil's Tower to get good pictures, or doesn't it matter? We could plan to be there in the morning or later in the afternoon

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

I don't know that the time of day will matter much, as it is round and there is a trail all the way around the base. It is fun to see - very unique rock formation - but it is worth only a quick stop - maybe an hour? I would not plan my trip schedule around the best light of Devil's Tower - but that is just my opinion.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

I would go in the morning when you have a greater chance for clear weather. Lately we have had thunderstorms in the afternoon but the mornings have been clear.

Which direction are you coming from, because I would suggest tying it to exploration of the Black Hills which are beautiful.

You would also do a quick stop of Vore buffalo Jump. Cool historical area.

Arvada, CO
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

Thanks for the help. We'll be coming from SD and will plan to see a couple of things in the Black Hills that we missed the first time.

What and where is the Vore buffalo jump? I've never heard of this.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

J & J,

Here's a small website regarding Vore Buffalo Jump:

www.sundancewyoming.com/parallel/vore.htm

It's located in Sundance. When we return to the area, I plan to add this to my itinerary. It looks very interesting. Sequim, a Wyoming DE, is really an expert on it. He has recommended it numerous times.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
516 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

If coming from the Hills take the Beulah Exit and travel west on the old 14 Hwy pass the gas station and the town of Beulah about 3 miles. It will be on your left.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

We've been to Devil's Tower a few times and the most dramatic pictures have been sunset. We were there last Sunday but not such a great sunset, but the post-sunset pix were fabulous.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

Hi,

Yes, The Vore Jump site is pretty interesting and when visiting DT from the Black Hills makes a convenient stop. It is pretty close to I-90 at exit 199 and WY-111 makes a nice route to DT.

They have a new visitor center but it was closed for the season when we passed by a couple weeks ago. The official web site is at www.vorebuffalojump.org . We first became aware of the place while talking to a Vore family member while visiting Thermopolis. He grew up across the frontage road up on the hill. As the story goes the freeway was to go right over the sinkhole but while drilling soil samples before filling it in they kept coming up with bison bones and artifacts so it became an archological dig and they rerouted the freeway. University of Wyoming students work it and staff the visitor center. It used to be "donations accepted" site but they now charge $4 for adults. It's a non-profit foundation, more like a museum than a commercial operation.

This year I did note a large excavation a mile or so west of it on the frontage road, near the freeway exit. I'm curious what that's about. Was figuring perhaps a gas station or other services. If so this would maybe lead to more visitors to the Vore site.

8. Re: Devils Tower, Wyoming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 04, 2010