We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do ...not snowing

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what to do ...not snowing

Hi we were gonna go skiing/snowboarding (family of 5) for the first time up at June Mountain but I looked at weather report and its not snowing and its manmade 12 inches. Is it still gonna good or is it a waste of 500 dollars??

any advice or tips greatly appreciated. My sons wanted to learn

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,551 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do ...not snowing

I would cancel for sure. There's no snow, very few lifts running, and no snow in the forecast. Save your money for a trip later in the season, after some precipitation.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do ...not snowing

thanks, well I cant cancel the cabin but I guess I can save the 500 it costs for all of us to ski

I hope we aren't twindling our thumbs

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,375 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do ...not snowing

Is your cabin at June Lake or Mammoth? Plenty to do besides twiddling your thumbs. You may be able to hike in some areas. Have you been to Mono Lake?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do ...not snowing

we are actually staying in June Lake area. No I have never been to mono lake? is that neat to see? Hiking is good! any other ideas especially for teen guys looking for excitment

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,551 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do ...not snowing

Since you can't cancel, send your son snowboardingl at Mammoth, where there's more snow than June.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do ...not snowing

hmmm will Mammoth be allot better??? 750.00 for all 5 of us for half day. Is it man made snow ?? is that still good

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,375 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do ...not snowing

It's manmade on top of a thin base. Are you newbies? If so, probably ok. But it wouldn't be for me since so much of the mountain where I like to go is still closed. Whether worth it or not only you can decise.

Edited: 8:58 pm, December 29, 2013
Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do ...not snowing

Thank you....yes we are newbies. I just thought it would be harder for newbies on man made stuff like ice rink (hard )

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,375 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do ...not snowing

They will make some snow at night if cold enough. But your backsides will hurt regardless. Make sure you look to see if they have beginner package that have rental, lessons, and beginning lifts.

Mammoth Lakes...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do ...not snowing

There is still lots of fun stuff to do. Go skiing; the snow is still decent and the views at June are awesome.

Also, go ice skating! Conditions are very good at Gull Lake (next to June Lake) and also at a few ponds near Mammoth (the 'alkali ponds'). But only a few places have skates to rent. Try Footloose in Mammoth.

Plenty of good hikes to do. Mono Lake is very interesting to visit (go to the visitor's center for an educational video).

If you have a 4-wheel drive, pick up an OHV map from the visitor's center and go explore the offroad trails.

Yesterday, we offloaded and then went ice skating. Both free and tons of fun for the kids.