We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beginner ski location

Orange County...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
best beginner ski location

Hi friends, my 20 yr old son came out of the wood work saying "I want to learn to snow ski" so whats a mom to do. Find a place to learn and make family time. Can any one recommend the best place in mammoth for beginners??

1.Any tips & advice welcome!!!

2. We'll probably stay in June lake is that far from ski locations?

I did ski once years ago but rode down the mountain the whole time on my butt LOL.

Thanks

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beginner ski location

All three base lodges have great beginner areas, with Canyon being the best of the three, simply because the runs are longer so it makes for a faster learning curve. There are plenty of condos to rent around the Canyon Lodge area, and around the Village, with the Gondola taking you directly to Canyon.

Main Lodge is isolated, with just the Mammoth Mountain Inn for lodging, and Eagle is a bit overwhelming for beginners because the narrow run at the bottom is very crowded.

June has it's own mountain, also great for beginners, so if you're staying in June, then ski June, This year they are promoting June as THE mountain for kids and beginners - which will be the focus of that mountain on its reopening season.

2. Re: best beginner ski location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 26, 2014