We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

We are a family of four, the kids are 10 and 12. We are coming from OC and will be staying in a condo at Sherwin Villas from July 4-7. Trying to narrow down our itinerary. We definitely want to see Mono Lake and Bodie as well as DPP and Rainbow Falls. We will be arriving on Thurs 7/4 around 10am. We'd like to head over to Crowley Lake for fireworks and festivities in the late afternoon, but what we do with our day before that we're not sure about. Any suggestions?

Also, I guess Mono Lake and Bodie would go together, what day would be best Fri or Sat? Does it matter? That leaves DPP and Rainbow Falls for the other full day. Anything else to add to that day? Here are the options I've found: June Mountain chair lift, June Lake, Mammoth Gondola, the Village shopping, Mammoth Adventure Center, fish hatchery, etc....

I guess basically I need help figuring out what we can fit in with our limited time and what days to do things on and in what combinations. Also, tips for pre-planning on any of the above mentioned activities would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

Two ideas, the hike to Devil's Postpiles, and horseback riding south of Mammoth.

Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

Thanks!! Any particular business to use for horseback riding?

Also, if anyone can recommend specific must do hikes please let me know.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

For the horseback ride we used these guys: www.mcgeecreekpackstation.com/trail-rides/ I'm not big into riding and we have not been there recently, so I'm not the best one to offer a recommendation. My wife and daughters liked them, I think partially because when we were there the staff was all female, included the local rodeo queen (no sullen silent cowboys), and their trail was scenic. At the time we rode there were other companies closer in to Mammoth that were more expensive.

Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

You should have a great trip! Definitely try to arrive by 10 because the July 4 parade starts at 11am and will pass by your lodging. It's not too long, but very fun and "small town." After the parade there will be some activities on Old Mammoth Rd. including a barbecue at Rafters restaurant, hot dog eating at Grumpy's, and a "Pops in the Park" concert at Mammoth Creek Park. You might also consider a walk or trolley ride at the Lakes Basin before heading to Crowley. There are fireworks in the Village on Friday evening and probably music there at least on Saturday. While June will re-open for skiing this winter I don't think they are doing the daily lift rides this summer, so you might want to do a gondola ride at Mammoth on the same day you visit the Postpile and Rainbow Falls. With the busy holiday it won't matter which day for Bodie and Mono Lake, but consider the forecast and definitely get an early start if it stays warm. You might also want to rent kayaks or paddleboards--I really like Mammoth Kayaks at June Lake--the view is stunning; they also rent at Horseshoe Lake or you can try one of the many marinas (Lake Mary, Pokonobe, June, Gull).

5. Re: Itinerary help: traveling with tweens to Mammoth July 4-7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2014