We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
75 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

We are spending three nights in the Mammoth Lakes area (actually staying at Reverse Creek Lodge) in mid-June. We will be coming from Yosemite. I'm hoping someone familiar with the area can give me advice on our itinerary. I am trying to keep this trip somewhat leisurely.

Day 1 (a Thursday): drive from Yosemite to Reverse Creek

I don't have anything planned yet for this day, but since it is a short drive we should be there by noon or 1 pm. Is the gondola worth the cost? Anything else we might do this afternoon?

Day 2 (a Friday): visit Bodie. I want to get on the Stamp Mill tour, so it seems our best bet is to get out to Bodie early that morning and plan to spend most of the day there.

Day 3 (Saturday): get an early start and take shuttle to Devil's Postpile, hike Rainbow Falls (short hike) and maybe Minaret Falls.

Day 4: (Sunday): check out of Reverse Creek and take a canoe tour on Mono Lake. Then head home (about a four hour drive)

Thanks for any advice!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
4,716 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

Day 1 - we've gone to the top of Mammoth Mountain on the gondolas. And the views are amazing. (Note: If you are a mountain biker, its a good mountain also for mountain biking in the summer.) I'd probably take a drive and see the other lakes in Mammoth Lakes area - and get out and explore some of these areas more....If you play golf, reasonable golf course at Mammoth Lakes area.....or take a drive and see nearby Convict Lake....

Day 2 - Good idea to get an early start. On the way back, you might want to take a drive in and see Virginia Lakes, Lundy Lakes, and June Lake Loop (before returning to Mammoth Lakes.)

All are easy to access from highway 395.

Day 3 and 4 sound nice - have a good time.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

It's a great area for a visit and your trip is well planned. You are close to Bishop and I would recommend to visit Laws Museum just east of Bishop. http://www.lawsmuseum.org/ We really enjoyed our visit there.

Some places for food are Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining and Erik Schats bakeries in Bishop and Mammoth Lakes.

Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

The chef who started Whoa Nellie Deli has now left and has opened a takeout/catering place in Mammoth. Toomey's.

It's getting good reviews

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
25,828 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

I love Toomeys! Be sure to have a meal there.

The hike from Devil's Postpile to Rainbow Falls is very steep in sections. Be sure to bring water and wear appropriate hiking shoes.

I feel the gondola is worth it, personally. Also go to one of the many natural hot springs in the area, it's beautiful and relaxing. Info at www.visitmammoth.com

5. Re: June trip to Mammoth Lakes: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 02, 2014