We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

Santa Clarita...
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

We (family of 4) just decided to visit the Mammoth Lake, Mono Lake and June Lake Thu-Sunday this week. Will appreciate recommendation on which area to stay - Mammoth, June or Mono Lake.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

Our family always stays in Mammoth. So much to do and see.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

I stayed at June Lake several years ago with a family of 7. It was great! (Camping weekend)

Santa Clarita...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

Thanks. We were also planning to do Tioga pass /Tuolumne Meadows since last time we went to Yosemite, it was closed. We are driving up from LA , so would it be too much too much of a drive back and forth from Mammoth?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

From Mammoth Lakes to Lee Vining (the town by Mono Lake) is about 30 miles on the highway. Then from Lee Vining to Tuolumne Meadows is about 20 miles on Tioga Pass road.

I personally am partial to Lee Vining because I love Mono Lake. Even on repeat visits, I an easily devote a day or two to it. And it's nice to be near the Whoa Nellie Deli. But everyone has their own priorities and needs when they travel. Mammoth Lakes is a bigger town with more choices of lodging, dining, and activities. June Lakes is a little quieter and less busy, and to me it has always felt more uppity than either of the other two, but everyone's perception is different.

This time of year, Lee Vining might be the most challenging place to find lodging because it's a small town and the closest to Tioga Pass.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,106 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

I would go for Mammoth Lakes for the reasons Frisco has stated above.

While I loved our recent visit to Mono Lake, and loved the Whoa Nellie Deli, Lee Vining would not be high on my list of places to stay--and it is certainly accessible from Mammoth Lakes, as are so many things

Anaheim, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

Where ever you stay, don’t rent from Sun Snow Lodging. They are a total Scam!!! I booked my stay with them through VRBO in April 2012 for three days for Mammoth, CA. A week after my booking, I tried to call them with questions. Nobody answers the phone and when I left messages, no one return my calls either. I tried emailing VRBO and no one from VRBO response either. That made me nervous and so I booked somewhere else through FlipKey. Later, I found out that Sun Snow Lodging charged my credit card and would not refund my money. I did not stay there, I cannot contact them but they are still charging me!!!! It’s a total Scam!!! Stay away from them.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

I don't think anybody has suggested renting from Sun Snow Lodging. I certainly hope you aren't going to post this on every Mammoth Lakes thread. :-(

8. Re: Where to stay- Mammoth, Mono or June Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, December 17, 2013