We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days 2 nights from LA to Mono Lake in Late April

singapore
Level Contributor
94 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
3 days 2 nights from LA to Mono Lake in Late April

Hi,

I've a few days in between work commitments and was thinking of driving up to Mono Lake from LA.

The dates will be April 24th to 26th. I was wondering if this is doable without the need of snow chains since it will go up the 395 to Mammoth Lakes?

Would it be better to take the other road at Bishop and go up the 6 and 120 to avoid Mammoth Lakes?

Or would you recommend skipping this area entirely and for me to take a peek at Death Valley NP, which I read will be very hot by then. And probably won't have many flowers because there wasn't a lot of snow this year.

Alternatively, although it's not likely it's going to happen, if I can change my air ticket and stay longer in the US, would a round trip from LA up to Mono Lake and Yosemite via 88 and back down to LA be doable if the days are the 29th of April till the 8th of May? A total of 10 days? I visited Yosemite in winter before but avoided the roads that required chains, so I thought it might be nice to go in again in April for different scenery.

I've driven in the US before, but this will be my first solo drive with no passengers.

Thanks.

1. Re: 3 days 2 nights from LA to Mono Lake in Late April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, April 11, 2013