We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

Sao Paulo
4 posts
Save Topic
driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

Hello,

i'm from Brazil. I will be travelling for one month with my kids in California.We wanted to take the route to yosemite via mammoth and mono lake, but we are not sure we can reach yosemite from that via in winter. How long does it take? Should we stop somewere on the way?

Is it nice to stop in sequoia park?

thanks for the attention. After we will keep travelling to lake tahoe, San Francisco and back to L A using the cost.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

When are you planning this trip? Yes the route from Mammoth is usually closed for winter.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,385 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

Hi kittysp

Do you have more than one screen name? Your other thread has a question from you and another who sounds like you.

Anyway, the best place for itinerary planning is the California state forum here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29 Be sure to share lots of details on your new thread. Tell folks the ages of your kids, when you're visiting, what you want to do, and what you want to see. We'll suggest a route that is do-able in winter and includes the destinations you have in mind. (Did you know you can ski in Yosemite?) Then when you have the itinerary set, go to the destination forum to get more information about lodging, attractions, restaurants, and such. For example, the folks on the Yosemite forum will help you with Valley lodging & a wonderful winter visit, the Lake Tahoe forum will help you to find a good ski resort for your needs, and the folks on the San Francisco forum will help you to find lodging with inexpensive or free parking.

Sao Paulo
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

I'm going on January, i really wanted to go on that route 345? Passing mammoth and mono lake, but can I reach yosemite from that route and end in Tahoe? than San Francisco, or this isn't possible?

Edited: 9:21 pm, June 14, 2011
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,726 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

Tioga Pass, the road off Highway 395 that takes you into Yosemite will be closed in January.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

If you are going in January, you will have to go through the central valley of California, through Bakersfield and Fresno, to get to Yosemite. It will be winter in the mountains and cold and snowy. You will probably be required to have tire chains in your car, whether or not you are required to use them. The only parts of Yosemite that will be open at that time will be Yosemite Valley and the Badger Pass ski area. The rest of the park will be closed.

If you want to drive the 395 from Los Angeles and then enter Yosemite from the east gate (Tioga Pass) you must wait until Tioga Pass and Tioga Road are open. This is normally by sometime in June, but it could be as late as early July. If you wait until July, the park will probably be fully open and you probably can use any route to get to Yosemite. However by that time it will be crowded, and the desert that the 395 goes through will be hot, at least until you start getting to the higher elevations around Mammoth Lakes.

After Yosemite you can go up to Lake Tahoe, but the choices of route will depend on what time of year it is and which mountain routes are open. If all are closed you will need to exit Yosemite on the west side and go north then east on Interstate 80 to Lake Tahoe, then return on that to go to San Francisco. If it is summer or fall, you can exit Yosemite at the east gate (Tioga Pass) and then continue north on the 395 to Lake Tahoe, then go west from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco.

No matter which route you use, this will be a lot of driving. It's going to be a minimum of 1200 miles (1920 km) of driving, probably a little more. But spread out over a month it is not too much. Yes, Sequoia and Kings Canyon are nice parks and you could go through them and spend a night there before going on to Yosemite. I think this trip would be better in June than in January, if that's possible with your schedule.

6. Re: driving with kids from LA to Yosemite park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 02, 2012