We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth in beginning of October?

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Mammoth in beginning of October?

We are travelling from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

Is it worth stopping off at Mammoth?

We are worried many activities will not be available as the bike parks are shut etc.

Are 2 nights better spent as additional nights at the coast (already staying 2 nights) or Lake Tahoe (already staying 2 nights)?

Thanks

pearland, tx
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

It appears that Mammoth mountain which has the bike trails will close on September 18th. My spouse and I will also be in the area and are planning to use Mammoth as base for exploring the eastern sierras.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

Coming from Lake Tahoe you could visit places like Bodie and Mono Lake before driving over Tioga Pass to Yosemite NP. If you want to visit the mentioned places and also check out June Lake loop and Mammoth you could stay in Mammoth and drive to Yosemite next day over Tioga Pass . But Mammoth will be a detour on the direct drive from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite this way. The whole area is breathtaking and spending time along us395 is highly recommended. We're in the area again later in october and have been several times before. Can't get enough.

Tet

Anaheim Hills
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

I would skip Mammoth Lakes this trip. You need a weeks vacation to really see Mammoth. There is so much to do there.

What I would do is get an early start from Lake Tahoe and head first to Bodie. After checking out Bodie head down 6 miles to the Virginia Lakes turn off for their fall colors. Go all the way (about 7 miles) and you come up to some pretty lakes. Good fishing here. Head back to 395 and just before you get to Mono lake, make a right to Lundy Lake for the fall colors. Go past Lundy Lake and on to a dirt road to the trail head parking. Hike up maybe an mile in Lundy Canyon and see the best fall color show I've ever seen. A lot of wildlife here (Deers, Beavers, etc.). Get back on 395 and head to Mono Lake. First stop at the Mono Ranger Station, then check out the Tufa area at Mono Lake. Back on 395 head to the June Lake Loop. Four lakes are on this loop and worth a stop or two.

To get to Yosemite from here, head north on 395 and turn left on 120 to Tioga Pass. Stop at a view point as this has amazing views on ths road. I would recommend staying at the top of the pass at Tioga Pass Resort. They have single rooms up to 2 br cabins. This is a great place to plan your daily trips. Alot of great places to see and do from here. Have fun.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,712 posts
6,408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

We always visit this area in October....and its gorgeous. If you like fall leaf colors, the Eastern Sierras is absolutely spectacular in the Fall. If you happen to like trout fishing (either fly or regular), its the best time to catch fish. While its true that the bike mountain trails on Mammoth are closed, there are spectacular places to go bike riding. Note: Bike Rentals are still possible and since the summer crowds are less, you will find wonderful places to ride.....

Hot springs are open.....The rates for lodging are a bit less...and generally you can find a place mid-week. Week-ends are still very popular due to the wonderful trout fishing.

Weather is generally warm days...cool nights. However star gazing is spectacular this time of year. Also, many animals out -..we generally see lots of elk, deer, bears, etc. during this time.

People who say skip it are probably "city folks"......and have no idea how wonderful October can be. Yes, you can get a 1 day snow storm...but the day after it can be 70 degrees and full sun. So, just check the forecast a few days in advance in case the random snow storm is that week (note; In general, we find the weather wonderful this time of year.).

Restaurants are open!!! And so romantic....We especially like the cozy setting at Convict Lake Restaurant this time of year (a short drive from Mammoth Lakes). Note: There are lots of restaurants in Mammoth Lake..

Mono Lake, June Lake Loop, Mammoth lakes all spectacular.

If you time it right Mammoth Lakes also has Oktoberfest time of year...in case you like partying with the locals and enjoy drinking beer.

www.visitmammoth.com/calendar/index.cfm…

The mountains are always...always fantastic....Also, you can drive to Devils Postpile (versus having to take the shuttle) if its like past years as its past the summer crowds. Definitely worth a drive to see.

http://www.nps.gov/depo

The area has a different feel from Lake Tahoe. If you want to get out on the lakes, June Lake Loop (a short drive from Mammoth) always has their boat rentals running through end october, early November.....

So much to do....and such a beautiful time of year to visit. I would plan 2 nights for this trip.....

sorry the others gave you poor advise....regarding how wonderful October is. You will find us in this area...on many days that time of year.

Enjoy your trip.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

What's the "poor advice"?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,712 posts
6,408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

The poor advise is to skip this beautiful area in early October. It is absolutely beautiful place to visit. Your advise was excellent. My apologies. I was reading the one from wshawkins that recommends skipping the area...and that is poor advise....Sorry that I was vague in my statement. Tet14 have a wonderful day! and thanks for highlighting.

Anaheim Hills
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

Poor advice? To spend two extra days in Yosemite in October is poor advice? Yosemite is a one of a kind destination and I'm sure most family's would enjoy the extra time there. I thought these posts were for honest opinons and recommendations from experienced travelers that can give out suggestions on what's there to do and see that they would otherwise missed without this board.

By the way, this "city boy" has been traveling up to Mammoth Lakes and the Eastern Sieera's for over 40 years and we (my wife and I & our two girls) own a condo in Town for the past 22 years. We love this town and the surrounding areas(Long Pine to Lake Tahoe).

I think we should let the guest traveler decide for them self where they decide to go and do and not judge others responces as bad or wrong. Just my thoughts!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,275 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

There is no such thing as poor advice. This is a forum for everyone and everyone's opinions and particular advice. The poster who poses a question can decipher for themselves which advice feels right for them.

Mammoth can sometimes be very cold in October. The whole area is beautiful and you'll enjoy it all. Also, the coast is gorgeous in October, so whichever way you choose, you can't go wrong.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

FYI...we were in Mammoth mid-October last year and hit a huge snowstorm. Although unusual, it isn't unheard of.

10. Re: Mammoth in beginning of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 05, 2011