We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mammoth With Small Children

Which Mammoth Lakes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SLO, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mammoth With Small Children

My extended family is planning a trip to Mammoth this January. We went last year, and had a lot of fun but were not thrilled with the condo we rented. It was nice enough inside, but outside there was nothing to do except walk to the gondola or shop.

We will have four children under 10 with us and would like condos that have some room outside to play, build snowmen, etc (most near the mtn seem to have buildings and parking lots--that's it). Being near the slopes isn't that important as only a couple of people will ski one day. Any suggestions?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mammoth With Small Children

I recommend posting this question at the Mammoth Mountain boards, http://forums.mammothmountain.com

I can't think of a condo complex offhand with a big snow field nearby. Most of the condos near Canyon Lodge are walking distance to a children's play area.

Also, look at http://www.visitmammoth.com for a list of all the condos in Mammoth (click on Lodging)

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mammoth With Small Children

For many years, we were summer vacationers at Mammoth with three grandchildren. If you stay south of Sherwin Plaza on Old Mammoth Road, after the curve to the right in the road, there is area of open land on the left (south of town). We stayed many times at Snowflower; Snow Creek Resort is the same area, Mammoth Creek condos are all very nice. (Being summer, we enjoyed the creek and the bike path with the kids.)

We liked Snowflower because of the two master bedrooms and two master baths on the lower level, living room and kitchen on the next level, and usually 4 single beds in the loft. Snow Creek Resort has the golf course across the street - maybe that's available for snowplay. Also, the shuttle for skiing has a stop on Minaret and Old Mammoth Road.

One can walk from Minaret Road on Meadow Lane through the little Mammoth Creek Park to The Stove for breakfast, and on across the street to Von's etc.

California
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mammoth With Small Children

Don't know if you've left already for Mammoth, but check out The Woodlands. I actually stay there quite a bit because it is right on the golf course and my dogs can chase each other on the snow-blanketed course. We take our friend's 2 yr old sledding down the soft hills of the course as well. Your kids would have tons of space and snow to play with.