We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thousand Island Lake Trail

San Diego
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Thousand Island Lake Trail

I recently completed this 18 mile hike and it was breathtaking I reccomend any one whois in good shape and loves the outdoors to try this amazing hike. I started the hike at 8:40 in the morning and finished around 4:15. If you want to do this hike go to the Shuttle Station by the Mammoth Mountain ans take the shuttle to Agnew Meadows. I took the high trail on the way there and the river trail on the return journey. Some people say that the high trail tobe boring but I strongly disagree as the views along this part are breathtaking. While the high trail is more expansive the river trail seems more intimate. Along this 18 mile hike I crossed nearly 100 streams and creeks, saw manydifferent habitats and plants, saw beavers, dear, and many birds. Thousand Island Lake was amazing with a snowy mountain in the back and crystal clear water. On this journey you should bring plenty of water and snacks, and a light jacket as sometimes the wind can get chilly. The altitude did not really affect me even though im from San Diego and not accustomed to the high thin air. If you have time for a day hike in Mammoth then take this trail.

San Diego
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thousand Island Lake Trail

My sister and I went on this trek and my father, mother, and younger brother did the usual attractions of Devils Postpile, Rainbow falls, etc.

From what they told me they said that it was pretty ,but not amazing and definitly not up to standard of national parks in the Sierra Nevada Mounatin Range, so according to my family their hikes were not really that memorable, however if you want a memorable experince hike the Thousand Lake Trail which is actually part of the fabled Pacific Crest Trail.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thousand Island Lake Trail

You are tough, I have only done this as an overnight trip, and I think it might have been 2 nights. Tho I've never been a marathon type anyway, the scenery here is far too beautiful to just rush thru, IMHO. Talking to other campers, we found a secluded very small packer camp perhaps 50 feet above lake level, complete with rock slab "table" and log "benches". Coming back on the High trail, we were told of the cold spring in the area. If you're tough enough to do it in a day, you should carry a bag and shelter, and really experience it.

3. Re: Thousand Island Lake Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 26, 2010