We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to stay in or near town?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best to stay in or near town?

Going to Mammoth Lakes in a couple of weeks (mid October) to see fall colors. Likely looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom condo on Airbnb. Will be a 4 day trip. Never been to the area before. Thinking (for now) that it would be best to stay near the center of town, walking distance to shopping, restaurants, etc., but don't know what the rest of the neighborhoods have to offer. A place on the outskirts with great scenery would be really nice. Bonus points if that place had a grocery store or couple of restaurants also in walking distance. Any advice on where to find that outside of downtown? Looking I think for just some general advice about neighborhoods or locations so that I can search Airbnb. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
California
7 replies to this topic
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

If you're not skiing and there's not snow on the ground your location isn't that critical. In summer we've stayed off of Meridian Road, on the way towards the mountain, about a quarter mile from Vons, and been okay with that. We've also stayed in other areas with lots of condos around, but further from the Vons, between Meridian and Main, and been fine. My criteria in summer is a nice complex at a good price.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,864 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

There is no "downtown". There's the area around Main Street (by Von's) and the area around the Village. There's also no "out of town". There's just little Mammoth, it's small and compact, and the free shuttle will take you wherever you need to go if you're not walking distance to either area.

Look at www.visitmammoth.com to get an idea of the area.

Mentioned in this post
The Village Lodge
The Village Lodge
934 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

Why limit yourself to AirBnB?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,681 posts
6,325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

What is your budget?

High end condo is The Westin Monarche

http://www.westinmammoth.com/

Lots of cafes, restaurants, Mammoth Brewery within walking distance.

Viewpoint Condos is on the Main Street - this is where cafes, shops, Schatts Bakery,etc is at

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60…

The main grocery store is Vons in Mammoth - Good deli, large, movie theater there as well.

http://www.visitmammoth.com/shopping/vons

Its on Old Mammoth.

There are older places like

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60…

within a 5 minute walk.

Lots of condos at Mammoth Lakes

See more at

http://www.visitmammoth.com/hotels-lodging?f[0]=field_categories%3A16&sort_by=random_seed

The above locations can help you with which areas to look at (i.e Main Street or Old Mammoth by Vons.

Mentioned in this post
Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
California
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

Not limited to Airbnb. Just want to avoid a hotel / apartment and Airbnb is easy. I travel 100 days a year for work and spend too much time in hotels. Want to rent something that's more like a single family home just for a change of scenery. Would love another suggestion if you've got one.

Also to the other question that was asked of... Not really concerned about budget either. Just 2 adults here and want a nice, comfortable space that is conveniently located to things that the town has to offer. I appreciate all the resources noted here. Being near The Village sounds like our speed. Definitely appreciate all the input. Thank you.

Edited: 11:03 pm, September 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
The Village Lodge
The Village Lodge
934 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

There are multiple agencies that rent out condos. I would check out the website that Mini provided. The agencies show which condos that they have online and in my experience they are helpful on the phone for telling you what the different residences are like.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,864 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best to stay in or near town?

Mammoth doesn't have hotels - there are a handful.

Mammoth is made up of condos, and there are many agencies that handle the condo reservations. I like the Westin (all privately owned condos) and the MMSA owned properties at the Village. Look at the website I provided in post 2, for a list of all accommodations.

You might miss the fall colors. It's now snowing in Mammoth.

Mentioned in this post
The Village Lodge
The Village Lodge
934 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Reply to: Best to stay in or near town?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted