We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 2018 skiing

Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
April 2018 skiing

hi,

we are a family of 5 (kids 10,8,6) travelling from Australia for a week skiing en-route to Disneyland.

we are looking at 14th April a few weeks after Easter and had questions on best accomodation location.

our quotes so far have been all for juniper springs which from reading will not be the best location wise as that area will most probably

be closed.

would we be better staying in the village area ? will we be handy enough for restaurants in the evening and ski schools in the day given the time of year? was thinking a condo may suit us...

how about the free shuttles around this time? will they still be running?

also, if the kids get sick of skiing (heaven forbid) will activities like snow mobiling, trips to Yosemite be possible at this time of year?

Mentioned in this post
12 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,225 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 2018 skiing

Hi

A trip to Yosemite will not be possible. Tioga Pass (the entrance to Yosemite from the east) will be closed for the season due to snow.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
1,040 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,896 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 2018 skiing

You'll have fantastic skiing in April, as we do every year. The Eagle and Canyon side close the Sunday following Easter each year, and this year Easter is early.

I don't know where you're getting "quotes" but Mammoth is full of great lodging, and you aren't restricted to Mammoth properties even if looking for ticket+ lodging packages.

The Village is a great area, and there are many lodging choices, and kids will enjoy being in that area. Shuttles run and are free. But no reason to be out by Juniper.

Look into other condo options, the properties are listed at www.visitmammoth.com. There are many companies that handle reservations for condos.

Mentioned in this post
The Village Lodge
The Village Lodge
936 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
guadalajara
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 2018 skiing

Since your visiting los angeles, you should consider the santa monica ski school (snow board, ski ) lessons for the kids. Its run by ex usa olympian. This would ensure the kids would have a perfect time in mammoth since they will be taugh real time the ins and outs.

Virtual snow systems in santa monica

Another great idea for the kids sinve you will be in anaheim is the hungtington beach ocrc race track.... you can drive to lake forrest to the

Team associated factory and buy a refurbished rc truck aprox 240.00 extra battery and charger and ocrc track opens at 11 am to 11pm. 20.00 for the day

Youtube ocrc race 2017 to see the best track in the usa

Edited: 3:52 pm, July 23, 2017
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: April 2018 skiing

thanks ellebe_la.

quotes were from agents in Australia (who probably are not aware of the closures).

looks like the village has plenty of options. one further question, it seems that kids ski free at end of season in the past. so could ticket lodging packages only be valid for the adults?

or is kids ski free usually later in may say ?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,896 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 2018 skiing

I would wait to book your April accommodations until ski season. No specials are offered for the 17/18 season, yet. Most MMSA owned properties (found on the mammothmountain.com website), offer lift tix with lodging. But for a week, you might be better off buying passes, or look into the Mountain Collective pass, which is 2 free days and half off after - it's worth it for the kids. No, kids do not ski free.

But properties like the Westin also offer ticket/lodging packages, too - not just the MMSA properties (Village, Juniper, etc). Wait until November or December to book. Don't worry, it won't sell out.

Rosemead
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 2018 skiing

I have been going to Mammoth for many years I usd to own a condo there and rented it out. . My experience is that business drops off dramatically after spring break no matter how much snow there is. I remember one trip I took in May where there was still a 20 foot base at the main lodge and the town was half empty. A condo would be nice for a family. There is a full service super market in Mammoth ( Vons) if you would enjoy cooking some of your own meals. I am assuming you plan to rent a vehicle. Most rental condos are equipped with pots and pans and dishes. You didn't say. how you are planning to get to Mammoth. While Mammoth does have an airport it only accommodates fairly small planes. If I were you I would fly into LAX and rent a car. Reno is closer but the highway between Reno and Mammoth ( Highway 395)is more subject to snow closure than the highway between LA and Mammoth. And yes that can happen even in late April though it is rare that late in the season.

Mentioned in this post
Reno
Reno
Nevada
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 2018 skiing

Don't use an Australian travel agent to book ANY hotel in California. They are completely clueless and put people in awful locations.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: April 2018 skiing

thanks Jeremy we are getting that impression 😀 the ability to cope with a family of 5 seems to be a bit of a struggle

Newcastle, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: April 2018 skiing

thanks sdsali

we are thinking given timings that driving from lax may be the easiest and time and cost effective (sounds like it would be around 5 hours avoiding rush hour).

it would give flexibility if the kids don't like skiing and useful for trips to the grocery store.

given at least 1 adult and 3 kids would be in lessons , would you suggest organising these when we got there as there may be late season deals or locking in lift / lesson packages when we book accomodation later in the year

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April 2018 skiing

Hi,

We just picked up a great condo on AirBNB in Mammoth Lakes for 6 - well positioned and very comfortable.

We are from UK and similarly, coming early May and had hoped to see some of the historic Redwood trees - any around this area?

Thanks,

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
California
Reply to: April 2018 skiing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted