We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation

We will be attending an event in the downtown Bethlehem area later this month and would like to get dinner afterwards before heading home. I am looking for recommendations for a local restaurant (no chains) that is reasonably priced (under $15 a person). No seafood restaurants due to allergies, otherwise we are open on the cuisine.

7 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Bethlehem tends to be somewhat pricey, especially downtown

Assuming you mean entrees under$15, two downtown reccommendations would be Mama Ninas a pretty good red sauce place, with a number of pasta entrees under $15 and Bethlehem Brewworks with many entrees under $15 (ordering their beers, will of course up your bill) Both on Main Street

Billys Downtown Diner would be perfect for you, but they close at 3PM

Edited: 7:08 am, December 04, 2013
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation

The restaurant doesn't have to be downtown, so if you have other recommendations in the suburban area, that would be great. We will be heading west out of Bethlehem. Thanks.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Well, before you head west, you need to head either south to Route 78, or North to Route 22 (which merges into 78 just west of Allentown).

I'm not much help south. We live at the northern end of the Lehigh Valley, and so rarely eart out south of the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton strip.One very good place we have enjoyed is Paprikas, on Main Street (Route 412) in Hellertown, not far South of 78. A very good Hungarian restaurant. Its in your price range. Absolutly no ambiance.

North I have more knowledge

Off the airport Road South exit of 22 is Roma, a very good Italian restaurant. It may however, stretch your budget..

Twio solid Greek Diners we often enjoy are Chris's, on Tilghman Street, just west of Allentown and just off the Kuhnsville exit of Route 22, and Starlite, on Route 100 just south of the merged route 22/78

Starlite has the edge in greek diner ambiance (more chrome and mirrors), Chris's probably a slight edge on food.. Both are strongest on diner classics like meat loaf, and their greek entrees.

I am sure there sare good asian places within your budget, but its not my wifes favorie cuisine so my personal experience is limited

Finally, a reccomendation not real close to the freeway- Werts Cafe on 18th street in Allentown(about 10 minutes off the 15th Street exit of 22.)

Werts is a throwback-the decor probably has not changed in 40 years. They are famous for their burgers and onion rings. The burgers come many ways, but most notable are the stuffed burgers. The meat pattys are stuffed with onions and mushrooms.

The Onion rings are really onion straws-very thin deep fried onion strips. The best I ever had. One order can easily serve 4 people.

Although we almost always get burgers and rings, the regular entrees are also quite good-and within your budget, as long as you don't get steak.

Hope this helps.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Thanks for the additional recommendations, brookquarry. The two Greek diners sound like real possibilities so I will check out which one will be easiest to access given our route out of town. Thanks again.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Both are right off the freeway. Starlite is a little more complicated because its on the other side of the road, but both are less than 5 minutes off 22 or 78.

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Hunan Springs in Allentown isn't horrible out of the way if you are headed west, and would be in your price range. It's a local favorite for Chinese food.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation

We ate at the Starlite. Service was very good, food was typical diner fare, not bad. Thanks for the recommendation, brookquarry.

Reply to: Restaurant recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted