We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Bethlehem

NJ
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Bethlehem

Hi all was thinking of visiting Bethlehem this holiday season. Any advice on must dos and sees would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

West Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

http://www.christmascity.org/

NJ
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

Thanks for the link lefty, I already checked that out , I was looking for a personal view of what not to miss. Any favorites? restaurants? Activities?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

Apollo Grille and Edge are both very good restauants in Downtown Bethlehem.

Of the events described on Lefty's website, I would skip Christkindlmarkt unless you really like christmas crafts. Overpriced and not worth the admision fee otherwise.

The Oldfashioned Moravian Christmas, on the other hand is worth the $20.00.

You should also not miss the Moravian Bookshop complex on Main street. It is also a fine quality giftshop, gourmet foodshop and decent deli.

West Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
171 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

Of the activities on the christmascity.org I agree with brookquarry that Christkindlmarkt is kind of a waste as I've always chafed at the idea of spending money just for the opportunity to spend more money.

While some of the vendors are good, a lot of them are just peddling overpriced tourist gift shop trinkets and the food they offer is not authentic German by any stretch. More like authentic state fair.

If you are going to try any of the activities on the site the night time bus tour isn’t bad and the walking tour if you it after sundown is also not bad. Stay away from the carriage ride as that used to be a good value but the price has been raised a lot over the last five years.

In downtown the Moravian Book Shop is always great and Apollo Grill is good, Mama Nina is good, getting a window table at the Tap Room in the Hotel Bethlehem provides an excellent view of Main Street and people watching.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60789-i3109-k3253…

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

A couple other suggestions.

First, if you like classical choral music, the internationally famous Bach Choir has a Christmas concert you will not want to miss. Advance tickets will be necesary.

Second, if you like Belgian Beers, Bethlehem Brewworks SteelGarden ( Main Steet Commons, corner of Main and Broad) has an unsurpassed selection.

Finaly, if you like cigars, Cigars International, a discount catalog and online store headquartered in Bethlehem, has a bricks and mortar store with good prices, on Main.

Edited: 3:16 pm, November 09, 2010
Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

I'm an old softie about Christkindlmarkt! Is it a full day trip? Absolutely not. There is a TON of junk inside, but if you have a thing for authentic German wooden Christmas ornaments, Käthe Wohlfart is always there with a ton of stuff. It is more expensive that buying them in Germany but it's hard to find this kind of selection stateside.

Some of my other favorites include driving around to see the Putzes, searching for Christmas lights (someone in the Morning Call always writes up recommended driving tours as Christmas approaches, and shopping downtown. I also like to sneak into Allentown to see Lights in the Parkway (it's one price for the entire car, and they even have a coupon on their website).

My favorite "nice" place to eat downtown in Apollo Grill, and my favorite "casual" place is Bethlehem Brewworks. To warm up cold fingers, stop in at Wired Cafe for a cup of cocoa.

A tip is to avoid the hassle looking for a parking spot on the roads and just park in the garages downtown. It's fairly inexpensive. They used to run a free trolley along a route (stopping at the garages and many of the stops) but this year it's been replaced by a Fest LOOP bus (perhaps it will be a trolley?) at $2.50 per day per person. If it's not insanely cold, most everything is close enough that you won't freeze just walking (though it's a bit of a hill to go to Christkindlmarkt).

This year we had hoped to buy tickets for the carriage ride, but waited too long (the times we wanted to go are all booked). Instead, we'll just do a longer walking tour, probably spend entirely too much money on Christmas presents and then treat ourselves to dinner at the new Thai place on Main. :)

NJ
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

Thanks all for the great input. Helps me to narrow down some of the activities!

8. Re: Christmas in Bethlehem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 09, 2011