We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

nbcphiladelphia.com/news/…

A couple was arrested for not paying a "mandatory" gratuity totaling $16 after receiving horrible service. Don't police have better things to do, btw? The owner/manager sure needs to hone his people skills. An arrest record is no small thing.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
919 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

This is quite shocking. NO one should give their custom to this place

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

Interesting but hard to imagine the police actually arresting someone for refusing to tip. Is there more to the story?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

agree, however, i've read about 10 stories from different sources and they all agree that the bartender/manager called he police in on the unpaid "gratuity". Do your own research. Please post when you've done so.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
919 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

I have also looked at this story from many sauces and they all tell the same story. I have found nothing on the web to say the girls did anything but refuse to pay the tip and were then arrested.

If anyone knows any more i would love to hear about it.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

Wow ~ This place not only mangles the English language, [a gratuity is voluntary—not a “service fee”!], but they also mangle basic math—or they cheat! $16.35 is over 22% of $73!

It seems like a few people here should go back to school besides the students. Even the police seem open to a lot of legal challenges here. Good thing they paid the bill—might they have been shot if they didn’t?

philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20091119_Col…

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

mcall.com/news/…7941194.story

The police are supposedly going to drop the charges.

I do think it's pretty funny that this thing happened nearly a month ago and it's just now becoming "news." Must be a slow news month!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

Yes, it's good they are going to drop the charges. It still doesn't excuse them from humiliating two people who were handcuffed in front of witnesses. I think the reason that it has had such far reacing interest is that everyone has known a surly boss or manager who would rather throw his weight around than do the right thing for a customer. I'm sure they could have handled it better. People who act like this have NO business in the customer service industry. I'm curious, MrsCruse, you are from Lehigh- have you noticed that they are losing business at all?

Center Valley...
Level Contributor
907 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

I do live in the Lehigh Valley, but I've never actually been to the Lehigh Pub. It's mostly Lehigh University students who go there. I was there a few years ago, back when it was a different restaurant (Bridgeworks).

I can't imagine that it'll hurt their business that much. I've had many a dinner with a required gratuity charge where I've gotten horrid service but I would have never thought to just walk away without paying it. I have on occasion asked for a manager at other restaurants and have had it reduced or removed from our bill. Yes, I agree with you - the restaurant overreacted. They should have taken better care of their customers. But the restaurant was within its rights to enforce their required gratuity since it was well published. Heck, if anything, it's given them a lot of exposure. I knew that Bridgeworks had closed but didn't know that anything had replaced it. Now their name is out there, for better or worse.

Luckily, the LV has plenty of awesome restaurants with great service. You should come visit our area and see for yourself :)

PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

Actually, I have a friend who goes to Lehigh University and your right that most of the customers at the Pub are Lehigh students. My friend said the students are banding together and ARE boycotting the pub. From what I have heard, the pub is now pretty much a ghost town and is going downhill quick.

10. Re: BOYCOTT Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, May 25, 2010