We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV to Death Valley

Modesto, CA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
RV to Death Valley

I'm pulling a fifth wheel to death valley Easter Sunday April 8 with a Chev 4x4 diesel truck from Modesto (just south of Sacramento). Looks like the better way is down 99 to Bakersfield and then over to avoid the montains. I have a reservation at Furnace Creek Ranch. Any suggestions on the route into the valley hauling the 5th wheel?

First time to DV. Any other suggestions? We're going to stay 4 days, 5 nights, leave Friday morning.

Thanks!

Heartland "Big Horn" 32' 5th wheel with a Chev Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Dueramax Diesel and Allison Tran

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV to Death Valley

Stick to the CA SR 190 going in and out of DV. A couple of the side roads, such as Badwater Road, get narrower than two lanes.

190 has some twisties and climbs, but take it slow (pull over so faster traffic can pass, of course) and you'll be fine.

It's kind of a toss-up. You could take the 99-58-395-190 route, or the 99-58-15-127-190 route.

If it were me, I'd go in one way and out the other.

2. Re: RV to Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, August 24, 2009