We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to Death Valley to San Diego

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
LA to Death Valley to San Diego

We are coming to LAX Oct 13 ~10PM. I was thinking of going to San Bernardino to overnite. We have reservations @ Furn. Creek ranch on 14th and 15th. I was planning to go Rt 15 to Rt 127 to the eastern entrance, but was wondering about going up 395 to Lone Pine, see Mt Whitney & go into the park thru Panamint. Could change reservation and stay in another motel if necessary. Is it worth the extra driving to see Mt Whitney, etc. I understand the roads can be long & winding on the Panamint entrance.

On 16th Heading to SanDiego for 2 nites want to see SD Wild Animal park and something else, maybe the city. No hotel yet. Have been to SD years ago & saw zoo.

Next 3 nites in Anaheim, have hotel. Doing Disney, KnottsBF chicken dinner etc.

Looking for any must see places, restaurants, etc. Thanks BP

Mentioned in this post
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

Rather than stay in San Bernardino, stay in one of the motels near Ontario Airport, near the intersection of I-10 and I-15. San Bernardino would actually be a little out of your way.

I don't believe trying to get a quick look at Mt. Whitney is worth going out of your way. It is not a spectacular peak like Mt Shasta or the other Cascades up north.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

delmar thanks for the ontario hotel tip.

Is it worth renting a 4wd or SUV for 2 days in the park? Can a car make it to Eureka dunes? Is Rt 178 a scenic entry into the park or is it better to drive down to badwater from 190?

Mentioned in this post
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

see the National Park website for information

www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

roads:

www.nps.gov/archive/deva/FrameSet_roads.htm

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

Hi Righteous, welcome to the forum.

No, it ain't Mnt Shasta, Mnt Hood or Mnt Rainier but the drive on us395 to Lone Pine is scenic and Lone Pine has the Alabama Hills within it's borders. Great location and you might drive towards Mnt Whitney as well and the sights from ca136 to the mountainranges are superb.

From Lax it's a 4-5 hours drive and Lone Pine has ample and well priced accomodation.

Next day you might enter DVNP from the west entrance and drive to Furnace Creek Ranch visiting Stove Pipe Wells on your way and exploring more sights. No winding roads in DV (not on this route).

If you don't want to visit Lone Pine I suggest you drive San Bernadino to Ridgecrest and 178 to Panamint Springs and ca190 to Stove Pipe Wells and Furnace Creek Ranch. There is a "short" cut on Emigrant Canyon Road to Emigrant and Stove Pipe Wells, but parts are rough narrow and winding.

If you have one day to explore DV I recommend the drive and visit to Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe Crater too. Leaving DV you might take ca178 to Artist Point, Devils Golf Course and Badwater to Soshone and ca127 to I15 and to LA and SD. Or reverse your route of course.

Have you considered to stay at the Furnace Creek Inn instead Furnace Creek Ranch? I think it will open october 15 (not sure)

Tet{:o)-

Mentioned in this post
Lone Pine
Lone Pine
California Desert, CA
Alabama Hills
Alabama Hills
621 Reviews
Lone Pine, CA
Badwater
Badwater
2,374 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

Thanks, Tet, Delmar,

We are really looking forward to seeing CA again, awesome place.

I was looking at Mt Whitney on my relief map and amazed at the steepness on the east side. Seemed like it would be a good view.

We live in Maryland where mountains are 1 or 2,000 ft. I have done a bunch of reading forum posts, park websites, but wanted to ask questions directly to folks with experience willing to share. Have heard DV is great so 2 days planned there. Thought about the Inn but read about the high price rooms and restaurant and it turned me off. Other folks seemed satisfied with the ranch & restaurant.

Is there any need for a high clearance SUV to see spectacular sights or should I just plan on the paved road and a car?

Also looking for a nice place to stay in San Diego...

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

Hi

Keep in mind DV is over 3.000.000 acres. Yes Huge.

If you visit the well known attractions you don't need a 4wd. There si a lot to see without the need of a SUV. The Inn is expensive all right and there is nothing wrong with the Ranch, but the Inn is such a great place! If you want to visit the remote parts of DV you'll need a 4wd but go prepared, bring gallons of water and only to experienced 4-wheel drivers.

For SD accomodation, maybe make a new thread on the SD forum.

Tet

7. Re: LA to Death Valley to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 19, 2009