We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

london
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

Hi I am planning to spend the day driving from San Diego via Death Valley hopefully staying in Furnace Creek overnight then onto Vegas the next morning...does anyone have any route recommendations to make the most of this and anything that is a must see on this journey? Thanks so much for your help.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

you don't say when you're going...be aware that in the summer death valley is hot. i don't mean uncomfortably hot, i mean hottest place on the face of the earth hot.

it's a huge park...my favorite thing is playing in the sand dunes. since you're limited on time, probably the easiest is to hit the ones at stovepipe wells. if you had more time i would recommend the eureka dunes, way up north as they are much, much bigger.

london
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

We are travelling in mid October..

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

Hi Hemmo.

Death Valley is an odd NP and it's huge. You can visit the lowest point in the USA at Badwater, see snow far away although it's the second hottest place in the world in summer. Also trails only suitable for very experienced 4-W drivers and some roads are closed in winter or you need chains. Also some boring, and hot roads and great dunes as iluvkimi mentioned (he cannot be serious about a visit to the Eureka Dunes on a San Diego-Las Vegas trip through DV.)

If you should drive 50 miles west you'll see the highest point in the USA without Alaska (Mount Whitney, not in the park). I'm telling you this because DV is unique and worth to visit at least one day.

You can enter DV from SD two ways:

I 15 from SD to Barstow and to Baker and north ca 127 to Soshone and 178 to Furnace Creek. This will lead you to Badwater, Devils Golf Course and the Artist Drive (a must!) to Furnace Creek. This is the best itinerary if you're short on time.

If you also want to visit the great Sand Dunes at Stovepipe Wells you might drive from San Diego and go us 395 to Ridgecrest and take ca 178 to Panamint Springs and 190 to Stovepipe Wells, you even can drive Emigrant Canyon Road through Montrose but it's narrow, winding and steep and I would not recommend it.

So best imo is SD-Barstow-Baker-Soshone-Furnace Creek.

I already mentioned the must sees between Soshone and Furnace Creek. (more sights too)

Next day visit the visitor center and learn all about this magnificent place. Visit Zabriskie Point and maybe Dante's view if you drive from DV to Pahrump and Las Veags, or drive north to Ubehebe Crater and Scotty's Castle and leave DV on your way to us 95 and to Las Vegas (takes some time!). You also might drive from the Visitor center to Stovepipe Wells and see the sanddunes and leave DV to Beatty and us 95 to Las Vegas.

It's 4 hours from SD (traffic permitted!) to Baker and less than three hours to Furnace Creek (via 178). It's all on good roads. (no 4wd)

Hope this helps.

Tet{:o)-

london
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

That's fantastic thanks exactly what I was looking for! Will be back when I have checked the details if I have any more questions..

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

The preveious posters are correct Death Valley is a very strange place. Another option is to drive up 395 to Olnacha/Lone Pine and see the Southern end Eastern Sierra that includes Mt. Whitney. Then take 190 east to Death Valley. Before you get to Panamint Springs there is a dirt road you tak to a trailhead Darwin Falls about a mile hike in a wash to the falls. A waterfall year round waterfall in the desert. If you decide to go to travel to Death Valley through Baker, you can take I-40 east from Barstow to Kelbaker road and travel North to Baker via Kelso. About 5 Km. Before Kelso are 400 foot high sand dunes that "boom." Kelso has a nice museum taht describes life in the desert. Get a good map if you take this route as you will be traveling across the desert with no services.

Enjoy your trip.

6. Re: San Diego to Vegas via Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 14, 2009