We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Novi, Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

Hello, I would appreciate feedback on my initial itinerary... we are camping about half the trip, bringing a tent and some camping gear from Michigan and buying the rest of what we'll need. We will be traveling the end of July, first part of August.. my husband and me and two 10 year olds (boy & girl). Flying into Las Vegas, renting a car and flying home from San Franciso for a total of two weeks.

Las Vegas (2 nights - hotel)

Las Vegas -> Grand Canyon (2 nights - camping - reservations made)

Grand Canyon -> Las Vegas (hotel - as a layover)

Las Vegas -> Death Valley via I-75, CA-127, CA-178, CA-190, 395 North to Bishop (hotel)

Bishop -> Yosemite (intended 2 nights but can't get camp site or hotel, everything appears to be booked)

Yosemite -> Kings Canyon/Sequoia (1 night - camping)

Kings Canyon/Sequoia -> Fresno (hotel - as a layover)

Fresno -> Morro Bay (camp)

Morro Bay -> Carmel/Monterey (hotel)

Carmel/Monterey -> San Francisco (hotel - 2 nights)

Two years ago we did the Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Southern Utah parks & more loop; no camping involved that time. The trip was amazing! My son really wants to go back to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon so we are including that in this trip. Plane tickets are already bought, so we are locked into our arrival and departure cities. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

I haven't been ignoring you; I will come back later after giving your questions some thought.

Since you have several places on your itinerary, it's a little more complex than a question about just Death Valley.

For starting thoughts, I would suggest, if possible, staying over at least a night in Death Valley. The park is huge, the size of Connecticut, and as long as you're here, you should give yourself time to see as much as you can. If you can't stay a night, then I'd suggest entering from Pahrump, Death Valley Junction, and Hwy 190, for a couple of reasons. It is shorter, you can still see all the sights along the Badwater Road frm the north end, and you get to see Dante's View Point, one of the must-see places in DV, which will be a 50-mile round trip detour on the route you are considering.

Back later.

Edited: 1:12 am, April 06, 2013
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,546 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

Hi ketkd

Welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

This forum is really just about the town of Death Valley Junction, but lots of folks chat about Death Valley NP here.

I have lots of tips about your overall itinerary as well as some specific suggestions for Yosemite. In my opinion, the best place to chat about an itinerary is the California state forum. Then we can help you with some terrific First Come First Served campground ideas for your incredibly brief visit to Yosemite (or convince you to spend longer in Yosemite and have less driving!)

So, are you willing to repost on the CA state forum? When you find that forum page, read the Top Questions in the upper right. There is some great info about the drive between Las Vegas & Yosemite Valley and lots of info about the coastal drive.

Novi, Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

Thanks, FriscoRoadrunner, that's very helpful feedback. There was another poster on the DV thread that said the route into DV by way of 127 to 178 was worth it, but being able to save an hour of drive time when we'll be driving all day anyway sounds like the way to go.

I'll repost this request on the CA stat forum. Thanks!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

ketkd, that route is most definitely worth it; it's beautiful and one of the less traveled routes into the park. However, it does take longer, and the major natural wonders along Badwater Road are in the northern 17 miles, while the southern 50 miles is mainly about general scenery and magnificent landscapes.

I would always recommend this route for people who ave plenty of time, and if it turns out that you can spend more time in the park, you should see it. But with very limited time, I would not trade off Dante's View, because that is one of the absolute must-see places.

5. Re: Las Vegas->Death Valley->Bishop->Yosemite->Sequoia->coast->

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 08, 2014