We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF bay area to Death Valley

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SF bay area to Death Valley

Hi, we are leaving for Death Valley this Thursday, for three nights. I wanna ask, if its safe to drive my Mazda miata mx-5 Roadster to Death Valley. Because I read that that the roads are not good. If I dont go to Racetrack Playa and Titus Canyon, do you think its fine to take my convertible? Please suggest .

Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF bay area to Death Valley

The main paved roads and highways are in good shape. I think a convertible would be a fun way to go. If you want to venture off on dirt roads, Farabees rents jeeps right near Furnace Creek Inn.I would not try exploring down dirt roads in a Miata.

Edited: 6:34 pm, November 20, 2012
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
13,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF bay area to Death Valley

The main roads in Death Valley are fine. Hwy 190 is a state highway. Badwater Road, Beatty Cutoff, Mud Canyon, Daylight Pass, and North Highway (aka Castle Road) are all paved. Emigrant-Wildrose Road is paved except for a 3-mile stretch that is graded gravel, regularly maintained and safe for any car driven carefully.

Some of the natural wonders are on graded gravel roads that can be rough, but are safe if you take it easy (mainly to protect your tires). Those include Mosaic Canyon, Salt Creek, Devil's Golf Course, Natural Bridge, and the west end of Titus Canyon.

A convertible would be a fun way to go if the wet weather stays in the Bay Area!

Edited: 10:20 pm, November 20, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SF bay area to Death Valley

thanks all for your valuable advice

4. Re: SF bay area to Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, December 16, 2013