We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Planning to do this trip in mid May. Plan 1 is to have one night in DV, drive to Yosemite via Tioga Pass and stay in El Portal for 2 nights.

If Tioga Pass is closed, I'm thinking of driving to somewhere like Lake Isabella or Tehachapi via DV, and then on to El Portal as planned. Is this viable or will I not do DV justice? Don't fancy doing DV to El Portal in one day.

Any suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Tioga Pass will most likely not be open at all in May. Another big storm is dumping more snow. Last year the pass opened around June 24. Most years they try really hard to open it by Memorial Day weekend, end of May. Rarely is it open sooner. Not only do they have to clear the road of snow but there are other obstacles in the road that must be cleared as well, like fallen trees.

Here's a link to the historical opening and closing dates of Tioga Pass.

www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm

I don't blame you for not wanting to do Death Valley to El Portal in one day as that would be in the 9 hour drive range. Of the 2 I'd choose Lake Isabella.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Oh, oh...I was just going to recommend Tehachapi. None of it is particularly scenic, and I thought Hwy 14 to Hwy 58 is a easier than the winding Hwy 178 along the Kern River.

I checked mapquest.com and Death Valley to Tehachapi is about 250 miles and 4 hours. Maybe you would like to go another 2 1/2 hours and drive 150 miles and stop in Visalia (few miles east of Hwy 99. Take it easy and relax the next day.

You wouldn't need hotel reservations in mid May, so you could stop whenever you feel like it on that stretch (except if it's a weekend at Lake Isabella).

Just checked the snow depth at Tioga Pass eastern entrance, and it's 13 feet - down a few inches since this morning.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Maybe you mis understood me. I only want one stop between DV and Yosemite. My main issue is whether making it to Tehachapi in one day is doable. Or do I just miss out DV altogether.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Sorry I'm confusing myself. I mean 1 stop between LAS VEGAS and Yosemite

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Las Vegas to Tehachapi is probably 4/5 hours - hopefully, you will not be driving on a Sunday. Freeway driving all the way. Tehachapi is a nice place, and noted as apple country.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

There is another option.

Visit DV and drive to Lone Pine and visit it's wonderful vincinities in the afternoon.

The Alabama Hills and Mount Whitney are great places. There is a great visitor Centre too.

Coming from DV stop before Lone Pine and take pictures from the magnificent Sierra Nevada and Mount Whitney views.

From Lone Pine you can reach Y in a long days drive. There is nothing wrong taking Hw 178 to Bakersfield from Hw 395. It's an easy drive along beautiful scenery like Lake Isabelle.

By the way, Death Valley is worth visiting for at least one whole day!

Tioga Pass is closed almost for sure.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite

Before I forget, on your way to Y you can visit Sequoia NP south of Y. You never saw tree's like this before I'm sure.

Takes you another stopover though.

Three Rivers just before Se. is a convenient location. We were here end of April some years ago. No snow.

Tet