We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, Ontario...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip from LV ideas

Any suggestions for a day trip to Death Valley from Las Vegas. What are the must do's in a one day itinerary. Keep in mind we are driving a midsize rental car, so I would like to keep to the main roads.

Thxs.

London, Ontario...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

Forgot to add, we are doing this trip at the end of march, will the roads be open by then?

Ohio
Level Contributor
104 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

Check out the China Ranch Date Farm..head out Blue Diamond Road and follow signs. It makes for a long day, but you are entering Death Valley and the scenery is spectacular. The roads are all paved; we took a compact/economy car and did just fine.

China Ranch is an oasis in the middle of the desert..too cool.

Or head out to Red Rock Canyon..stop in Visitors Center and get a driving map and stop along the loop to hike etc.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

I've made a review on Las Vegas Forum to kory975 discribing a day's route to DV from LV. Maybe it suites you too.

All roads will be open and well kept and its the best time of year to visit DV.

Have a great day!

Tet

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

Do you think it would be ok for a trip to take a Trip to Death Valley the first week of June?

I am wondering about the heat.

Anyone done it?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

No big deal. It will be hot as you are visiting one of the hottest places on earth, but no problems with an a/c car .

Going from Stove Pipe Wells to Lone Pine there is a long, rather steep but straight climb but they warn you: Pull off A/C if engine temp rises. With a modern car there's no problem at all. But use low gear.

Staying around Furnace Creek won't give any troubles anyhow.

Tet

Ohio
Level Contributor
104 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

It was 85 in November when we visited. Be sure to take at least a gallon of water per person and one for the car just in case! You can't believe how hot it can become..the sun just literally beats down on you and you can get heatstroke so quickly. There is no natural shade that I know of except at Furnace Creek Just take precautions and you should be fine. It is just beautiful and will be a trip you'll never forget.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

Bringing some gallons of water won't hurt anybody, but don't use it to your car!

Tet

Ohio
Level Contributor
104 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

two words: overheated radiator

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

Thanks for all the advice.

I am still a little worried about the car in Death Valley in the heat the first of June. I would love to see it but------

Has anyone done Death Valley in June?

Ohio
Level Contributor
104 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from LV ideas

go to the CA forum under Death Valley...you should get alot of advice and suggestions there also.