We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prediction

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
baton rouge, la
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Prediction

Do u think there will be a wildflower explosion in 2010 like a few years ago?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prediction

I think that will depend on how much it rains this year.There was an interesting show a couple years ago on California public television where the host Huell Howser went kayaking in the dry lakes of Death Valley.That was a very wet year,probably when the wildflower explosion was that you refer to.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prediction

It depends on the combination of rain, timing, temperature, and seeds that are ready to germinate. I don't think I want to guess, since I'm not in the park all the time.

I've been in DV in December and seen wildflowers blooming at lower elevations, because there had been the right amount of rain earlier and then it warmed up enough so the seeds thought it was spring.

You might want to call the park to get a firsthand opinion. I think the current wildflower expert is Charlie Callagan.

3. Re: Prediction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 20, 2010