We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

too hot?

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hampshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
too hot?

I have been looking at posts on this forum trying to decide if it is possible to travel from yosemite to las vegas via death valley in one day in august. Coming from england do you think we will be able to cope wth the heat. We are a family of 4 with the youngest 12 years old. I was thinking of staying at somewhere like June Lake the night before. Thanks for any advice.

Sebastopol...
Level Contributor
94 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: too hot?

There is a reason it is called Death Valley - aside from all the "pioneers" dieing in the valley, it is impossibly hot in the summer. You could find yourself driving in 113 degree conditions, which is so hot you may overheat your car, and find yourself truly stranded. There are stations for water that for a car, but still I wouldn't risk it.

Here is a link to everything Death Valley - I hope it helps!

http://www.desertusa.com/dv/du_dvpmap.html

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: too hot?

It will be an experience of a lifetime, that's for sure. I've never braved it, but to each his own.

If you do go, the key is hydrating properly. Start drinking extra fluids the day before and keep drinking them. Heat exhaustion can creep up on you even if you are used to warm temperatures. And your family isn't.

hampshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: too hot?

Thanks for the replies I dont think it would be sensible to take that route in August - have to save that for a spring trip I think- now I must look at sme alternatives. I am spending two nights in San Francisco and wanted to take two nights on my journey down to las vegas where i will be taking two nights. Maybe I could take the 395 down to Barstow pr leave out yosemite and take the 99

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: too hot?

Oh come on. Many 10th of thousands of people are driving Death Valley each year in summer, many of them from Europe. A good rental car won't have any problems with the heat. Just drink enough water, wear a brimmed hat and slop on sunscreen when you go out the car and you won't do much hiking I can assure you. Death Valley NP is an unique place and believe me, also Barstow and Las Vegas will be hot hot and hot. Don't miss it.

Tet

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: too hot?

Like Tet said: Don't be put off by timid folks. July, August and fine times to go. Just, like previously posted, make sure you have pleanty of drinking water, sun block and a hat. When you get your rental car, before you take it off the lot make sure and check the coolant level. Pace your self, rest and you'll have the experience of a lifetime. Chuck...

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: too hot?

** "There is a reason it is called Death Valley - aside from all the "pioneers" dieing in the valley, it is impossibly hot in the summer. You could find yourself driving in 113 degree conditions, which is so hot you may overheat your car, and find yourself truly stranded. There are stations for water that for a car, but still I wouldn't risk it." **

Oh, come now, with an attitude like that, who today would remember Sir Edmund Hillary or the Wright Brothers? We wouldn't know what the floor of the ocean looks like, and Columbus would have spent his life sitting on his butt in Genoa reading astronomy or geology textbooks and Homer's Odyssey and thinking, "Wow, I wish I could go see exciting places!"

As Tet and others said, thousands of people enjoy DV in the summer. Many are from northern latitudes, and quite a few bring kids. Maybe 100 or so people live there: National Park staff, other official residents like the sheriff's office or state highway maintenance, and resort personnel. You will not be driving past heaps of animal or people carcasses with buzzards picking at whatever the sun hasn't turned into jerky.

Modern cars seldom overheat or malfunction due to weather. There are water tanks around the park, but I can stay there a week and never have to top off the cooling system. One big reason is the modern closed-circuit cooling system.

As I said in another thread, summer DV visitors often see test drivers torturing cars. They are testing new desires or whole new technologies, to see how they perform in conditions that most people will never encounter. In the winter, they'll test in harsh northern climates. The likelihood is that the prototype for your rental car has been through it so you don't have to worry too much.

Here is the real link for everything Death Valley. It is the official National Park Service website.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Also, Yosemite to Death Valley truly requires one stopover, preferably more. The beauty of the Eastern Sierra deserves some time, and a stop along the way. Several threads on these forums (DVJ and DVNP) address places to stay. The park itself deserves an overnight (at least) to really appreciate it and experience the desert in a way that you cannot do anywhere else.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: too hot?

** "They are testing new desires or whole new technologies" **

Actually, they are testing new designs. But maybe they're also testing new desires, and may discover a love for the desert!

My first first trip there, in the early 80s, was just for curiosity. I had studied the desert in school and college but never been there even though I grew up in CA. My parents took us all over the state, but they were scared of the desert (maybe those legends of skeletons lying around). Anyway, "testing new desires" is another way of saying, "curious and want to see what's there." The two biggest things in my life came out of curiosity to go see a place I wasn't familiar with.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: too hot?

Ok let's get one thing straight,in July & August it can be hotter than 113 degrees,we know we've been there when it has happened & no the car did not overheat,it was not an uncomfortable heat(ie not humid like Florida that time of year),the scenery is absolutely stunning,the stars at night are absolutely amazing due to the lack of light pollution,IMO there are not enough words to describe what a wonderful place it is to visit,we've been there twice now in July/August,just be sensible & you will be OK.

hampshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: too hot?

I think I have doubts now about taking my first visit to death valley in the heat of the summer, i think an early spring visit would be best for me. I am somewhat disappointed by my decision but am adapting my route - I am just nervous of if I did break done, and no cell phones to call for assistance.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: too hot?

Sorry to hear. Have a nice trip anyway. Btw, you won't be alone on the roads through DV in case of a breakdown. And a breakdown between Barstow and Las Vegas isn't nice either. It never is actually.