We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary

Dublin
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
My itinerary

Planning trip to california in july and august. Going to be in las vegas in august. Is this plan doable hope its not too rushed? Are driving distances between any of the places below to far? Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1: Bryce NP - Zion NP - Las vegas

2: Las vegas (show)

3: Las vegas - Death Valley.

4: Death valley - mammoth lakes

5: mammoth lakes - yosemite np

6: yosemite np

7: yosemite - san francisco

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My itinerary

So, you have July and August or just August? Either way, your trip plan looks fine, although 60 days might be a bit much. Make sure you have a map of the Western United States and make note of the mileage between locations. Chuck...

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My itinerary

The driving distances are fine.

How long were you planning on staying in each destination? And how long is your total trip. (I am assuming the trip will overlap July and August and not take up the whole two months.

But give us a timeline.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My itinerary

Yes, it's reasonable, provided you have the time to really enjoy and appreciate all the places. The states you are traveling through are big, and one mistake many people make who aren't familiar with the American West is trying to drive too far and see too much. Or folks will plan a week in Las Vegas and then want to see Death Valley and get to Yosemite all in a day.

Bryce and Zion are worth at least a couple days each, as is Death Valley. From Death Valley to Yosemite, you should try to plan at least one overnight stop, to break up your trip and give you time to enjoy the scenery and sights along the way.

Mammoth Lakes is one possible stop between DV and Yosemite. There are several towns along the Eastern Sierra that also have visitor services. Bishop is the biggest, while Lee Vining is a little closer.

You'll want to spend a couple of days in Yosemite. The trip from there to San Francisco is about 4 hours (more if there is heavy commute traffic in the Bay Area), and there's no real reason to stop over in between.

For lodging in or very near national parks, you'll need to reserve in advance. They fill up quickly in summer. Even in Death Valley, the resorts are often busy.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My itinerary

Thanks so much for all your replies. I really appreciate it. This is our full itinerary. Trip is for 4 weeks middle of july to middle of august.

1: San francisco (arrive late)

2: San francisco

3: San francisco

4: Santa cruz

5: Monterey/ carmel

6: Pismo beach

7: Santa barbara

8: San diego (zoo)

9: San diego (wild life park)

10: San diego (sea world)

11: Beach (pacific/mission beach)

12: Beach

13: Beach

14: LA

15: LA (Have to be in LA here for 3 days)

16: LA

17: LA

18: LA - Palm Springs - Grand Canyon

19: Grand Canyon NP - Monument Valley - Lake Powell

20: Lake Powell - Bryce Canyon NP

21: Bryce NP - Zion NP - Las Vegas

22: Las Vegas

23: Las Vegas – Death Valley

24: Mammoth Lakes

25: Mammoth Lakes – Yosemite NP

26: Yosemite NP

27: Yosemite NP - San Francisco

28: San Francisco

What do you think, not sure are we trying to fit too much in after LA its just we dont want to miss anything and there is so so much we want see.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: My itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:45 am, December 01, 2009