We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florence
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Death Valley

I'm planning this trip for Death Valley, does it sound feasible, if not, what should I cut out?

We leave LA early to arrive in Death Valley at about 4pm (we could get there earlier , but would it be too hot?.. Late July)

Quick look at the Dunes in Stovepipe Wells,is it close to the road? down to Artist's Palate to get the evening sun, then badwater.

Motel in Beatty.

5 am start at Dante's view for sunrise photography,20 mule team canyon, Zabriskie Point. We need to be in Vegas by about 12.00 so have about 5 hrs to do this, would we have time for a hike anywhere? I wouldn't mind Zabriskie Point for a hike.

Cheers

Jane

Netherlands
Level Contributor
606 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley

buon giorno,

that's a hell of a drive from LA to DV !

You will probably enter DV just before Lone Pine.

Then you will have some nice viewpoints like Father Crowley before you reach Stovepipe. The dunes didn't impress me that much.

Why pick a hotel in Beatty?

I would suggest staying in Furnace Creek and do the sunset at Zabriskie Point, then drive to Vegas over Pahrump...but that's MY 2 cents...

florence
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley

The motel in Beatty was the only place we could find and that already booked now anyway....

you're not the first person to say that about the Dunes.. Zabriskie point is as much of a dune as Stovepipe, anyway, isn't it??

Thanks for the rest of the advice

\jane

Western PA
Level Contributor
720 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Death Valley

Golden Canyon would be a good choice for a hike you second day, I think. You can hike as far as you want and it is located so you won't have a long drive to reach it. On your first day you might consider Mosaic Canyon, located west of Stovepipe Wells. It doesn't take much of a hike to see the water-polished narrows. Very fun to see. Even in the heat of July it might be doable late in the day. But we've not been in the summer so take all the necessary precautions. Frisco Roadrunner has posted good information on this topic. Check this forum and the Death Valley National Park forum for more info.

Enjoy your trip -

T2E :-)

Netherlands
Level Contributor
606 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Death Valley

Yep, Zabriskie Point is a viewpoint where you have to walk up to against a steep hill and then enjoy the spectacular dunes !

Northern California
Level Contributor
302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Death Valley

Hmm. The dunes at Stovepipe are one of my favorite things about that area. Dunes are close to the road in terms of looking at them; but if you want to climb them, it is 10-15 mins out to them. Very much worth the hike, I think, though it will be quite hot in July. The highest one is about 100 feet, and there are undulating dunes, like waves, that you climb over to reach the tallest one. Light is beautiful on them later in the day, with lots of shadows.

You might want to check out the ghost town of Rhyolite, if you are staying in Beatty, as it is on the way.

I second Golden Canyon for a short hike.

Northern California
Level Contributor
302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Death Valley

p.s. Zabriskie Point is not a sand dune. Totally different topographically, but beautiful as well.

florence
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Death Valley

thanks for that , I'll reconsider now...

Jane

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Death Valley

You should realize that Death Valley in july is the hottest place on earth with temps over 125F and you won't do much hiking. Always carry water, slop on sunscrean and wear a brimmed hat. Coming from Beatty the most logical direction is Zabriskie Point first, Twentymule team canyon after that and Dante's view last but even if you start 5 am it's hard to be in Las Vegas at noon visiting the mentioned sites. From LA to Stovepipe Wells is some 6 hours and easiest is to drive 14 from LA to 395 to Lone Pine and 190 into DV as mentioned before but to drive from LA to DV, see SPW dunes (on your left hand side after SPW Village,) drive to Badwater (Badwater first, Artist drive to Artists Palette is one way from the south) and the drive to Beatty will be way to much for one day not to mention the hikes you are planning. Just mho.

Tet

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Death Valley

Seriously if you're not used to desert driving I'd highly recommend not going to DV in the summer at all and you'll collapse if you think you're going to arrive at 4pm. When I go visit friends in the desert in the summer I leave at around 4-5am so I can arrive before 8 am. If I was going at night I'd drive late at night when the air had cooled a bit. Your car can overheat and leave you stranded on the side of the road in the sun. Plus I don't think you realize how incredibly hot (and uncomfortable) it is. To put it into perspective: the second hottest temperature on the planet in recorded history was measured in Death Valley in JULY of 1913. The temp was 134F (56.7C) Plus like wind chill, the heat can feel much worse depending on other conditions.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Death Valley

It's hot alright but DV still makes a wonderful visit. And you don't have to worry about the car. A good rental car easily will handle the heat. Millions have survived even in summer.