We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DV 4-day itinerary

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
DV 4-day itinerary

We'll be going to DV for four nights on March 22. We'll leave from LV on Sunday morning, and have the rest of that day, plus three full days, staying at Furnace Creek Ranch. So, after reading through these forums and looking at maps, trying to judge distances, driving times, etc., here's what I came up with. What do those of you familiar with DV think? Some days too much, some days too little?

Day 1 - Ubehebe Crater, Little Hebe, Scotty's Castle (this is the day we drive from Vegas, so we get a later start)

Day 2 - Rhyolite, Titus Canyon Road

Day 3 - Panamint Dunes, Sand Dunes, Mosaic Canyon. Also dinner at SPW this night.

Day 4 - Zabriskie Point, Artist's Drive, Devil's Golf Course, Badwater Salt Flats, maybe Dante's View.

I'm a photographer, and with sunrise around 6:45, I also plan on a couple of sunrise treks out to Zabriskie Point. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Some thoughts:

Day 2, I would think the Rhyolite - Titus Canyon Road would not take all day. Since you'll end up in the lower Titus Canyon parking lot you might consider hiking Fall Canyon. You do know that Titus Canyon recommends / requires high-clearance vehicle, right?

Day 3, I think you'll have plenty of time for these things and perhaps time to add the Charcoal Kilns - Frisco Roadrunner can add more info on these or search the archives (both this forum and the DVNP forum) for more details.

Here's one such post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k251…

You could also take in Salt Water Creek and the Harmony Borax works in the morning on your way to the dunes.

Day 4, definitely include Dante's View. Really, you shouldn't miss this. As I learned from Frisco Roadrunner, you can see people walking on the Badwater salt flats from Dante's. Look closely, they look like ants! Also 20 mule canyon is a fun drive, and can be done in regular passenger car (although bad weather could probably cause road damage so always check with the rangers to be sure.)

You should also have time for some ranger programs. They had one on photography that I wish we could have taken. You can check the DVNP website for more info on the programs available.

Here's an option for three days, just for reference.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143021-i2027-k249…

Another version:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18843-Death_Va…

Enjoy your trip. Just checked the temps and it shows as cooler in DV than here in western PA. How often does that happen?

T2E :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

T2E

Thanks for the info. We'll make Dante's View a definite. Rhyolite and Titus Canyon seemed like it might be a short day, so Fall Canyon looks like an incredible hike to add!

Yep, knew about the high-clearance vehicle for TC, and we'll look into the ranger programs when we get there.

Wanna know how this trip came about? We were going to hike the Grand Canyon, down to Supai Village, until the tribe announced that the village would remain closed until May. So DV was near Vegas, where we were flying into, only I wasn't sure that we'd have enough to keep us interested for four days. NOW, I think it worked out in our favor, and I wish we had another day or two. Guess we'll just have to come back :)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Hi, moviesign--

I will come back asap to comment on your plans. At the moment, I am trying to keep tabs on the current situation in DV. People with plans to go in a month or two are important, but the priority now is to help folks who wanted to go this holiday weekend.

As you may know from reading these forums, many of the places visitors want to go are closed because of road damage from recent storms. More rain is predicted over the next week, and our storms always move east, so it's likely that much of DV will continue to be impacted.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Thanks, Frisco. I look forward to your comments on our itinerary. We're still five weeks away, so hopefully the weather changes by then.

This is reminding me of the last trip we took to Carlsbad Caverns. We stayed in Carlsbad, NM on a weekend that had nearly as much rain in a 48 hour period than they normally get in a year.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

The ranger programs are posted at the beginning of each week. Photography programs at that time of year are still being run by Bob Greenburg. He has a couple of special places he uses and is a park photographer for both DV and Yellowstone.

You might be able to contact Bob through an email to the visitor center/park headquarters.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Thanks, Xochipilli. I just looked at this week's Ranger program guide, and it's full of interesting stuff.

I also saw in today's morning report that Titus Canyon Road is closed, with "no likely opening for several months"!!!!! Is that what happens to TC Road when there's lots of rain?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

** "Titus Canyon Road is closed, with "no likely opening for several months"!!!!! Is that what happens to TC Road when there's lots of rain? " **

Unfortunately, yes. The time frame depends on how bad the damage is. With any unpaved backcountry road, surfaces can be washed away or undermined by flashfloods. Rocks, dirt, and vegetation come down from hillsides and are deposited on the roadway. Canyons are literally freeways for torrents of rushing water in heavy winter weather.

Since Titus Canyon is not a major thoroughfare, it will wait until repairs or maintenance on major roads, any buildings or utilities, and secondary roads are fixed. Keep an eye on the park website for updates; often they will give progress reports so you can make some tentative plans. And don't hesitate to call the park directly to ask questions.

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Rhyolite shoud be done on day 1.

Rhyolite should be your first stop on way to DV.

Check out the Bottled house,the errie figures of the Last Supper and much more in Rhyolite.

Day1 Vegas to Beatty,Rhyolite,Ubehebe Crater,Little Hebe,and Scottys Castle.

On last day back to Vegas,checkout Furnace Creek Inn,then onto Zabriskie Point,20 mule team canyon, and then the jewel of DV IMO Dante's View.

The rest for days 2 and 3....

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Thanks, joeman. We'll keep that as a last-minute possibility. As of now, Titus Canyon Road is open again.

USA
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DV 4-day itinerary

Regarding your itineray I would flip day 1 and day 2. Titus Canyon road is a one way road from the Beatty side descending into death Valley. This is the way we come into Death Valley when we are fortunate enough to visit. Then you can check into Furnace Creek enjoy the pool, visitor center and maybe take the short drive to the 20 Mule team site ( I always enjoy stopping here.) Or visit some of the nearby canyons, take a ride to the saltwater marsh to see the pupfish etc.

If you do Ubehebe and Scotty's castle on day 2, you may be able to drive over to the racetrack. This is where huge boulders mysteriously move across the sand. You can see the mark in the sand from the boulders. That is a must see, especially for a photographer.

Have a wonderful time in this fascinating place.