We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV roadtrip through the Valley

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
RV roadtrip through the Valley

Hi All,

just a quick hello, in the throes of planning a trip from Las Vegas through to San Francisco in an RV.

It will be first time with an RV, which should be good for a laugh! Leaving Las Vegas 20 May to be in SFO 2nd June. We did 2 weeks SFO/Sonoma/Yosemite/Carmel last May. Just the 2 of us, coming from the Isle of Skye in Scotland we are used to the wilds (just not the heat!)

This time going to do Las Vegas, Death Valley and up through Kings Canyon NP. Would like to visit other parts of Yosemite apart from the valley and Mariposa. We will need to plan our whereabouts for Memorial Weekend as having discovered how everyone goes outdoors when we were there last year!

cheers, Ray

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: RV roadtrip through the Valley

We stayed in the Grand Canyon campground a few years ago with an RV and it was wonderful - just a short walk to the Rim. I'd advise that myself rather than the LV stay but that's maybe just me.

Don't worry about the size of the vehicle - most roads in the US are big enough for a U turn.... It's not like Skye.

Although on our trip we did go up the Mokee Dugway which is a gravel road going up a cliff face near Monument Valley (which BTW is another excellent visit, with a campground in the valley near the Mittens). The dugway was a bit scary but the mighty V8 pulled us up OK.

We found that the 25-footers with a rear fixed bed were best. Our first trip, we had an RV with just an over-cab double bed which was a bit claustrophobic.

Are you using CruiseAmerica, as they have a good 7-night free offer if booked before end January?

We'll be leaving just before you're arriving.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: RV roadtrip through the Valley

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will have a look at maybe heading for Grand Canyon with the RV, I wouldnt want to drive 5 hours for a day trip from Las Vegas.

Didn't realise Lake Isabella would be that busy, our problem is finding somewhere that wont be too bust ar Memorial weekend (relatively busy, I realise its when the whole of Ameica goes outdoors!). If we go to Grand Canyon after Las Vegas, that would put us in Death Valley Memorial weekend. We could then bypass Lake Isabella and go straight to Kings/ Sequoia.

As we have already been to Yosemite (and the road over Tioga probably wont be open) I would be happy enough not to go back to Yosemite. Maybe we will have to arrange to come back later in the year to do that area.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: RV roadtrip through the Valley

In that case, I'd suggest driving across the San Joaquin Valley and driving up the coast from Monterrey.

And, since you'll be entering Sequoia Kings Canyon from the west, you might want to overnight somewhere between Bakersfield and Fresno after leaving Death Valley.

14. Re: RV roadtrip through the Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 14, 2009