We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Death Valley

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Death Valley

As part of our trip to the US, my husband and I are driving from Yosemite to Las Vegas but we have a number of questions to ask you experts out there!

1. Any advice on a car rental company to use and a suitable car(we'll need to pick up in San Fran and drop off in Las Vegas)?

2. How long will the drive from Yosemite to LV take roughly?

3. We're breaking the long drive up with an overnight stay somewhere. Any recommendations?

Looking forward to your advice!

london
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Death Valley

Check out www.goamerica.co.uk for your car hire needs.

I have booked SF to Phoenix with no one way fees, I did a quick search for you and they are offering no drop off fees on your route. Our car is booked with Alamo and beats own price.

Can't help with your other questions, but look forward to your replies.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Death Valley

Hello Leeds,

We can all give you better advice if you tell us when you are coming. Weather has a lot to do with where you should go and how long it will take and where to stay. Many rental car companies will not charge you a drop fee for LA to Vegas. Choose the cheapest one on line. Avis, Hertz, etc. Most important is if your home insurance will cover you, or if your credit card will. Insurance costs almost as much as the car does. You will not need a special car for the trip. One issue with cars is the length of line at pick up and if the company has on airport site pick ups. My experience with Alamo is very long lines. You can try hotels.com or other web sites to get the lowest rate.

ZB

Leeds
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Death Valley

Thanks for your advice so far. Sorry, forgot to tell you when we're travelling....We'll be doing the long drive in the first week of August so I guess that'll be the hottest time to be travelling!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Death Valley

Fraggle, you are right. Death Valley can get a bit warm that time of year. Plenty of info from others on how to combat the heat...but do not be afraid to drive through. Take lots of water...like stop at a market and get 5 gallons at least in gallon jugs...seriously do this. Carry some food and hat and sunscreen. It will be very very hot. I would not stay in DVNP in August. You could at Furnace Creek Ranch, which is the best then, but if I were you I would keep going through DV and stay in Vegas, unless you want to experience the heat. Then stay at the ranch. It is not a ranch by the way, but a motel, ok, but nothing fancy. It is the location that draws people there.

Another place to look for a car is kayak.com. I can tell you that from Furnace Creek Ranch to Vegas is about a 2 to 2.5 hour very beautiful drive. I have never driven Yosemite to DVNP so we will let someone else tell you about that.

ZB

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Death Valley

hello fraggle14, I do hope your plans allow you a day or two in death valley. We have been going to death valley for many years and have been there durring August when the temps soar 120 F but dont worry its a dry heat :-). Type of car needed is mid to full size do not get a compact. If your trip does include some time/days in DV, look at a SUV type vehicle that has a higher ground clearance then a car. Some of the attactions in DV allow you to drive thru them and it gets a little bumpy. As the previous post states do stop at a local store before entering DV and pick up water a case is useful if you do stay a couple days. Driving time from Yoem I do not know as we have never taken that route, sry. I have written about DV, especially about the ranch in a post several years ago and what I wrote about the place ( search my alias for the post ) is still the same today as it was then. We stay in the park side rooms, for the extra $$ its worth it. PM if you want more info about DV. As for the car rental return to Las Vegas, if time permits visit Red Rock canyon on your way into vegas worth the couple of dollars entrance fee. Assuming you will be from DV TO LV via Pahrump CA, route 160 / Blue Diamond meets Las Vegas Blvd 2 hours total travel time. The car rental place at the Air port in LV is easy to find with its " new " exit off the Las Vegas Blvd. Hope this helps

Opie & the Mrs

6. Re: Driving in Death Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 29, 2009