We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Which Death Valley Junction hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oxford
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Has anyone stayed at China Ranch and Stovepipe Wells? A friend has recommended China Ranch and I've provisionally booked Stovepipe Wells for two nights. Wondering if I should change it or book one night at each?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Hi

Stovepipe Wells village is inside the NP and close to many sites. You can make visits to several directions from there and it has a great location close to the Dunes. Can't judge for China Ranch in Tecopa though. The website says it's a working ranch.

Tet

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

I have not stayed at China Ranch, so I can't give you a personal opinion. The website makes it look very appealing, but it is not right in the park, if that matters to you. I think it would be a lot more quiet and rustic. China Ranch was settled by a Chinese borax miner back in the 19th century who raised fruits and vegetables. Today it is a working date farm.

Stove Pipe Wells is pretty rustic, considering it is right on the main drag of downtown metropolitan Death Valley. :)

If you wanted to try both, Stove Pipe is great for exploring the western side of the park (Panamint range, Wildrose area, Sand Dunes) and Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe Crater. You could stay at China Ranch while exploring the sites along Badwater Road and 190. If you will be heading to Las Vegas next, a night at China Ranch would calm you down and prepare you for all the urban frenzy.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Forgot to say.The website looks nice so it might be a good idea for us to stay next time. So thanks for the tip. If you stay please write a tripreport. Thx.

Tet

oxford
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Thanks. Yes, they've apparently got some tippees too. Just deciding whether to have one night and move on or whether two in one place to relax.

We've just given up our fixed-term contracts because our booked holiday was denied by management and I guess we were wanting to move on anyway. I was so looking forward to visiting Death Valley in April. Guess we've got to make the most of it now. Having faced a far bigger decision, I hope it's a good one.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Is this a way of saying you are changing your employment so you can't come to Death Valley as you had planned?

So sorry to hear that :^(

Hopefully you'll be able to plan another trip before too many years pass.

oxford
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Still going, so I'll update here on my return. Just got to madly job search now.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

It would be difficult for me to recommend staying at China Ranch - considering your circumstances.

It's a perfectly good place to stay.

If you stay overnight outside the national park then you have removed yourself from the park. There's a reason why the national park boundaries are where they are. The good stuff is inside.

If you have time and really want to see China Ranch to tell your friend or whatever, then by all means stop by on your way into or out of DV. Have lunch, drink a date shake, buy some dates for the plane ride home, and tour the grounds to see old artifacts and see how people live in the desert. Check out the date trees. Plan for your next trip.

It's a narrow twisty dirt road down into the canyon where China Ranch resides. Those of us who are four wheelers don't bat an eye but I've read other reviews where the road scared the heck out of them. Plus there's the issue of taking a rental car onto an unpaved road.

oxford
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

So, is Tecopa area not as interesting as Death Valley National Park for a first time visitor?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

Interesting, eh?

I don't think there's anything interesting in Tecopa area. I go there once in a while because I like four wheeling (Jeepin') out in the desert. Someone has to reeeaaaallly loooove the desert to go to Tecopa.

Search Tecopa in TripAdvisor and see what others say.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,429 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: china ranch or stovepipe wells?

China Ranch is near (but not in) the town of Tecopa. Tecopa ia a pretty sleepy place, not much of a town (of course, few places near Death Valley are; that's one of the attractions).

Tecopa Hot Springs is a tiny community near the town of Tecopa. Its main draw is the mineral springs, and several campgrounds and RV parks, and a motel or two, have developed around the springs. This is a big attraction for "snowbirds," folks who come in their RVs from northern states in the winter. Of course, people visit at other times as well.

Other than China Ranch and a scattering of borax historic sites, there isn't much around Tecopa. For first-time visitors to DV, I would suggest Stove Pipe Wells or Furnace Creek just for the convenient access to all the park sites.