We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death Valley in 3 days

Oakland, CA
4 posts
Save Topic
Death Valley in 3 days

Hello,

I'm planning to take my 65 year old mother on a trip to death valley in late March. We are flying to Las Vegas on Thursday, then driving the 72 miles to Death Valley to arrive that evening.

We'll have 3 full days there - Friday through Sunday. And departing on Monday.

My mother does not read or speak English so will not be able to help me drive or navigate. Also, I would like to stick to main roads and be around people in case something happens.

Death Valley is huge. Where do you recommend we stay? What should we see each day? Do you recommend the free ranger talks offered? Do you think it'll be dangerous for two women traveling alone? I read about long stretches of roads with no one in sight. That would worry me.

Please help if you have information.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Death Valley in 3 days

Don't worry, I drive and visit places alone when my husband plays golf. I feel here more safe than anywhere else. It is definitely safer place than in Las Vegas. Your lodging options are very limited now. Book wherever there is availability. I doubt there are any rooms left at the Furnace Cree Inn unless there is cancellation. Furnace Creek Ranch is fine and Stovepipe Wells is a nice much peaceful place than the Furnace Creek Ranch located on the other side of the valley. I suggest you make your reservations today and don't be surprise if there is not much available. This is the high season for Death Valley and many of us are heading that way so you won't be alone. Take the tour of Scotty's Castle. If you both enjoy hiking then your options are unlimited.

Free ranger talks and hikes are great way to learn about Death Vally.

I don't know where you got this distance of 72 miles to Death Valley from Las Vegas but the shortest way is through Pahrump, NV. From Las Vegas to Pahrump is about 60 miles and then to Furnace Creek from Pahrump is another 60 miles. It is a very easy and pleasant drive once you leave Las Vegas behind.

Do search right here on this forum under Death Valley and Death Valley National Park. You'll get tons of great suggestions.

Start with this link

www.nps.gov/deva

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,622 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Death Valley in 3 days

I think the 72-mile figure may be LV to the park boundary.

You're allowing plenty of time to relax and really enjoy it. So many people try to rush through and are really just sightseeing, not seeing, IYKWIM.

Places is right; your focus now should be to get lodging. If the websites for Furnace Creek and Stove Pipe Wells show no vacancies, CALL. The websites often do not show real-time conditions.

I go to DV by myself all the time. As a park volunteer in Death Valley, I was out in many backcountry areas by myself. I think DV is as safe as anyplace I could be. As a Bay Area resident, you may really appreciate the wide open spaces and the opportunity to experience silence, fresh air, starry skies and the sounds or wind or wildlife at night. There is nothing like it.

At the park visitor center, you might find rangers with different language skills. Park maps and brochures are available in a variety of languages. You might be amazed at the diversity of visitors. DV is popular among German, French, and to a lesser degree Italian, Japanese, and British visitors. When I was there in December, I saw for the first time a large number of people from India. In the summer, U.S. English is often a minority language. Most national parks have made it a priority to help non-English speaking visitors enjoy the parks.

Be aware that there is no cell phone coverage in DV. If you have a problem, stay with your car and ask a passerby to notify the rangers. There are public phones at visitor centers, resorts, and several major road junctions.

3. Re: Death Valley in 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 21, 2009