We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in death valley - car rental advice

Driving in death valley - car rental advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:00 am, April 05, 2016
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in death valley - car rental advice

For your first or even a second visit to Death Valley you do NOT need a high clearance vehicles. There is so much to do along paved roads you will be fine with a simple small sedan. The paved roads are excellent. We are renting a 4x4 pick up truck from Enterprise in Pahrump, NV only because it is our another annual visit to Death Valley NP and this time we want to do some hiking in the areas that would be easier to access with a high clearance car. Try to relax and enjoy all this park offers without getting on less traveled and some time very rough roads.

Look up posts of Frisco_Roadrunner who many times gave suggestions for itinerary in Death Valley.

One suggestion is to go for a walk to Mosaic Canyon. It is a beautiful canyon and to get to the mouth of the canyon you can easily drive on this gravel road in a regular car. We, and many others, made this easy drive without SUV. Park Rangers have several activities every day and you may consider them too. I would like to give you more ideas on places to access, visit, hike and enjoy in a regular sedan but I need to pack today for my upcoming visit to Death Valley.

Have a great trip. Meanwhile check out this website www.nps.gov/deva

Mentioned in this post
Mosaic Canyon
Mosaic Canyon
450 Reviews
Death Valley National Park, CA
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in death valley - car rental advice

I agree with Places. You don't need a SUV for many of the roads. You will come back though and to explore more remote places a high clearance SUV is recommended. Keep in mind it's not allowed to drive dirtroads with a rental car. You easily can spend 2 days and only drive paved roads (and short sidetrips to some easy gravelroads).

Tet

3. Re: Driving in death valley - car rental advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, September 22, 2009