We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DV on a Harley

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
DV on a Harley

We are renting a couple of Harleys from Phoenix in mid April and want to see Death Valley.. we have 8 days before we have to be back to drop off the bikes in Phoenix again. Any of you guys done a trip like this that you'd recommend a route for? My preference is to not book too much accom ahead - but I'm getting the idea that it might be necessary to book in DV? Be good to hear your thoughts.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DV on a Harley

You are going to have an amazing time! There are a zillion different great routes to take. It really depends on your interests, both in roads and destinations.

I assure you that the rental company will be an outstanding source.

Here's what I can tell you. If you check GoogleMaps.com and plot a non-Interstate route, you will have the time of your life, no matter which route you take.

Here's a tip, though...plan for a stop in Oatman, AZ.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,875 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DV on a Harley

I haven't ridden a Harley through DV, but I would suggest making lodging reservations. April is part of the high season. It's after Easter this year, but some schools may have a break then, and there may still be a lot of wildflowers at middle and higher elevations that attract visitors.

I have occasionally lucked out on lodging at peak seasons, but don't count on it. There are three resorts within the park (Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch, Stove Pipe Wells, and Panamint Springs). OFten the websites will show no vacancies, but if you call (phone) as soon as you arrive in the U.S., they may have a cancellation or unadvertised vacancy.

Website for FC & SPW: http://www.xanterra.com/

Website for PSR: http://www.deathvalley.com/psr/

If this isn't practical, or you absolutely cannot find a vacancy, the nearest town is Beatty, Nevada, which has several motels. No town will give you the real DV experience, so I hope you're able to get a place in the park.

For long periods of riding in the Mojave desert, I think the main risk will be dehydration, so be sure to drink lots of water.

3. Re: DV on a Harley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 21, 2009